Chris Matthews goes after Reince Priebus on GOP's race baiitng

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
So you are acknowledging your original comment, the one I challenged, is incorrect, and that there is, in fact, a widespread perception that the GOP is significantly racist. That was my point, that your comment, "Well luckily the majority of the population doesn't believe that rhetoric." is wishful thinking, not grounded in reality. It is a common perception.

Are you trying to tell me that you think more than 50% of the population think the GOP is racist?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
What are you talking about? Even the RNC has acknowledged that this happened. I know it doesn't fit well into your rabidly partisan framework that some Republicans acted as bigoted bullies, but that doesn't make it untrue.

I find it funny that you have this list of cases chambered and ready to go. You strike me as one of those white guys who, against all evidence, thinks the deck is stacked against white guys. Such a loser mentality . . .

I'll wait till we have confirmation who the culprits were before i condemn anyone. I can see why you don't since you're a rabidly partisan hack for the Democrats. I'll want names and affiliations.

Lawyer.

Feb 10, 2000
I'll wait till we have confirmation who the culprits were before i condemn anyone. I can see why you don't since you're a rabidly partisan hack for the Democrats. I'll want names and affiliations.

Lawyer.

Maybe you've forgotten, but you have already posted, just 15 minutes ago, that the people throwing the nuts were "Democrat shills." How is that not "condemning anyone"?

Your attention span seems strangely short - have you by any chance taken a blow to the head recently?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Maybe you've forgotten, but you have already posted, just 15 minutes ago, that the people throwing the nuts were "Democrat shills." How is that not "condemning anyone"?

Your attention span seems strangely short - have you by any chance taken a blow to the head recently?

Recent fake racial attacks like those I posted would indicate that it's more likely this was a fake event.
Is that a vague threat?

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Recent fake racial attacks like those I posted would indicate that it's more likely this was a fake event.
Is that a vague threat?

Proof of "conservative" fear and cowardice. And innocent question is perceived as a threat. Because everything and everyone is frightening. No wonder you guys want to carry a concealed weapon everywhere. I pity you, Captain Courageous.

Nov 30, 2006
Let me clarify. Your question is a straw man. I did not profess a belief that the GOP is significantly racist. I have offered no opinion about it one way or the other. My comments addressed the widespread perception.
You made several comments in this thread which led me to believe you shared this "widespread perception" that the GOP is significantly racist; however, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Do you share this perception or not?

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Puerto Rican party functionary—Zoraida Fonalledas, the chairwoman of the Committee on Permanent Organization—took her turn at the main-stage lectern. As she began speaking in her accented English, some in the crowd started shouting “U.S.A.! U.S.A.!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPuQd8BtX0Q

Stay classy GOP, stay classy.

Nov 30, 2006
Puerto Rican party functionary—Zoraida Fonalledas, the chairwoman of the Committee on Permanent Organization—took her turn at the main-stage lectern. As she began speaking in her accented English, some in the crowd started shouting “U.S.A.! U.S.A.!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPuQd8BtX0Q

Stay classy GOP, stay classy.
You have no clue. This was completely taken out of context. The crowd was upset just after a Committee on Credentials report. They were protesting a decision by the RNC to not to seat members of the Maine delegation which was split between Mitt Romney and Ron Paul delegates. This had nothing to do with Zoraida Fonalledas and her accented English.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2012/08/hbc-90008805

Last edited:

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
You have no clue. This was completely taken out of context. The crowd was upset just after a Credentials Report. This had nothing to do with Zoraida Fonalledas and her accented English.

interesting video

you have some chanting "USA"

Others: "Seat Them NOW"

and yet Others: "Sit Back Down"

most importantly....everyone is white, I saw 1 asian woman and maybe 1 mexican couple. that is not a good representation of America imho.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
interesting video

you have some chanting "USA"

Others: "Seat Them NOW"

and yet Others: "Sit Back Down"

most importantly....everyone is white, I saw 1 asian woman and maybe 1 mexican couple. that is not a good representation of America imho.

Pretty good representation of the GOP though!

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
You made several comments in this thread which led me to believe you shared this "widespread perception" that the GOP is significantly racist; however, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Do you share this perception or not?
I honestly don't know, nor do I think there's a black and white answer (no pun intended) since "racism" is an imprecise term. Yes, there are certainly racist elements in the GOP. There are also racist elements in the Democratic party. My sense is there are more and stronger racist elements on the Republican side, but unlike Matt, I offer that only as a feeling and not as a factual claim.

I would be interested to see if there are any credible studies trying to quantify racism in the two parties. Difficult I expect because racism isn't a binary attribute, but a spectrum. One's results will differ based on where the line is drawn.

Feb 10, 2000
Is that a vague threat?

How was that in any way threatening? Such a drama queen! It must be fatiguing living in constant fear (or at least pretending to).

I find it hard to understand the sentiment that "it's more likely this was a fake event" when even the RNC has acknowledged it:

The convention released a statement saying, “Two attendees tonight exhibited deplorable behavior. Their conduct was inexcusable and unacceptable. This kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The Party of Racism only allows token minorities...everybody knows this.

About half of the population seems to have conservative brains so about half of African Americans and other minorities should be voting Republican. The fact that they are not is a statistical affirmation of the fact that Republicans repel minorities because of their racist appeals to their base. If they lose a few more elections and the denial really starts to bite their asses, they will start showing real contempt for racists.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Here is more of the examples of the "Diversity" of the GOP:

http://news.yahoo.com/ann-romney-woos-hispanic-voters-luncheon-181637003--abc-news-politics.html

"Ann Romney Woos Hispanic Voters, Urging They Get Past 'Their Biases'"

Romney said her "importance in speaking out is making sure that those coalitions," referring to women and Hispanic voters, "that would naturally be voting for another party wake up and say, You'd better really look at the issues this time. "

"You'd better really look at your future and figure out who's going to be the guy that's going to make it better for you and your children, and there is only one answer," Mrs. Romney said, giving a harsher pitch than we usually hear from the woman who wants to be the next first lady.

"It really is a message that would resonate well if they could just get past some of their biases that have been there from the Democratic machines that have made us look like we don't care about this community," Romney said. "And that is not true. We very much care about you and your families and the opportunities that are there for you and your families."

I would argue that it is hard to tell how much the GOP cares about the latino community...given the lack of latino representation in the GOP delagation.

who is she trying to kid? shrug.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
As Chris Matthews is proving it is the Democrats who keep associating food stamps with blacks. And the Democrats kept plenty of thier racist bigots after the CRA and instead of trying to weed them out like the Republicans do, the Democrats prefer to diplay them out front as their leader in the Senate.

Meh, weak wimp-out.