chinese dude complains about having to build stupid crap for americans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 29, 2006
I support the free market. Because of this "slavery" (which you used incorrectly), the Chinese have the fastest growing middle class and purchasing power in the world. Soon their GDP will surpass ours.

I am assuming you purchased nothing from Wal-Mart or Target for Xmas this year, or else you are also supporting "Slavery"

I wouldnt call these forced labor camps "free market" but to each their own.

And actually i didnt buy anything from either of those stores for xmas. Although im sure the one major gift i did buy was probably made in China as with everything in the world these days it seems. Doesnt mean i support what is going on over there though.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
But that guy is an idiot, he steals the job from Americans and then complains?

Yes, he left the house one day and thought "hmm, how should I go about stealing a job?".

You stole your job from someone else! If you hadn't applied for it, someone else would have got it and so therefore you're stealing!

Or, Incorruptible could think before he speaks.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I hate to break it to the average Chinese peseant, but the reason they are the fastest growing economy is because they make cheap shit for Americans and everyone else.

Pretending their labor laws are our problem is a joke.

It is rather easy to make cheap stuff if one pays the people who make it hardly anything compared to the price it is being sold at.

But of course you're right, since the employees decide at what rate they're going to be paid, like I'm sure this employee made the decision "gee, shall I work at the factory that pays me hardly a thing, or shall I work at one of the sixteen other factories which will put me on the same scale of wealth as the people who are going to buy the sort of thing that I'll be making?". :rolleyes:

It is also rather difficult to persuade people that they should pay more when they can pay less.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Hes not a slave, so if its that bad then quit and he could stop bitching while hes at it. As crummy as the pay is for him, it would be a small fortune to a ethiopian who does not have the American-made opportunity to make ornaments for Americans at those low low prices we have come to expect.

I hate to break it to the average Chinese peseant, but the reason they are the fastest growing economy is because they make cheap shit for Americans and everyone else.

Pretending their labor laws are our problem is a joke.

It is rather easy to make cheap stuff if one pays the people who make it hardly anything compared to the price it is being sold at.

But of course you're right, since the employees decide at what rate they're going to be paid, like I'm sure this employee made the decision "gee, shall I work at the factory that pays me hardly a thing, or shall I work at one of the sixteen other factories which will put me on the same scale of wealth as the people who are going to buy the sort of thing that I'll be making?". :rolleyes:

It is also rather difficult to persuade people that they should pay more when they can pay less.

None of you guys read the article. It's talking about an illegal forced labor camp. The guy has no choice but to work. He can't escape. He can't go somewhere else. He's imprisoned. He was abducted by government officials for being a political dissident.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I support the free market. Because of this "slavery" (which you used incorrectly), the Chinese have the fastest growing middle class and purchasing power in the world. Soon their GDP will surpass ours.

I think you would feel a bit differently about the free market if you lived and worked in the production end of it.

China has serious pollution problems, not enough safety standards and so therefore they also have a toxicity problem, so not only are a lot of people getting paid next to nothing to produce a heck of a lot, they're likely to have serious health problems as well.

China's government would have to change rather a lot to improve the environment that its people live and work in, and that costs rather a lot of money, and the reason why a heck of a lot of production is moved to China is that it doesn't cost a heck of a lot of money.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
None of you guys read the article. It's talking about an illegal forced labor camp. The guy has no choice but to work. He can't escape. He can't go somewhere else. He's imprisoned. He was abducted by government officials for being a political dissident.

I did actually, it was enough days ago that I had forgotten that bit :) However I would be very surprised if most of China's factory workers were in the same circumstances as this one. If they were, it would be rather easy to convince Westerners not to buy Chinese-made goods.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I think you would feel a bit differently about the free market if you lived and worked in the production end of it.

China has serious pollution problems, not enough safety standards and so therefore they also have a toxicity problem, so not only are a lot of people getting paid next to nothing to produce a heck of a lot, they're likely to have serious health problems as well.

China's government would have to change rather a lot to improve the environment that its people live and work in, and that costs rather a lot of money, and the reason why a heck of a lot of production is moved to China is that it doesn't cost a heck of a lot of money.

The situation is incredibly complex. The government is an absolute clusterfuck. The society is a clusterfuck. Standards just aren't there. It's irritating because the government is pretty authoritarian but there is so much corruption and fragmentation from within that nothing really gets done for the good of society barring increases in wealth for the people in power. It just so happens that what's good for the wealthy trickle down a bit to the average person, but not enough in my opinion. It depends on your definition of progress. If progress means a slightly higher paying job and a new phone, sure, it's progress. But all the pollution, corruption, and taking full and unethical advantage of cheap labor is not worth it.

I did actually, it was enough days ago that I had forgotten that bit :) However I would be very surprised if most of China's factory workers were in the same circumstances as this one. If they were, it would be rather easy to convince Westerners not to buy Chinese-made goods.

No, they're not. But normal workers are paid very very low because it's in the interests of all the people in leadership positions to pay them as little as possible. And they know that with China's huge population that they can just get someone else to do the same job for the same amount. All the power is in the hands of the wealthy. There's absolutely no Henry Ford "pay your employees a higher than average wage so they can buy the very products that they are producing" kind of mentality. There's no concept of social capitalism or social entrepreneurship.