China's lunar rover 'declared dead'

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Whats new from Made in China

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26153520

China's first lunar rover has been declared dead on the surface of the Moon, reports in state media say.

The robot "could not be restored to full function on Monday as expected", the China News Service said.

The Jade Rabbit, or Yutu in Chinese, suffered a serious mechanical problem in January and "has been unable to function since then", the report said.

However, China's Global Times newspaper later said the rover "showed signs of awakening on Wednesday".

It added that data about the rover's "current condition and repair progress is still being collected and analysed", and an official update was expected "in the coming days".

The Jade Rabbit's deployment on 15 December was the first successful landing on the Moon since 1976.

It was expected to operate for about three months.

Social media debate

The malfunction in late January emerged before the rover entered its scheduled dormancy period, Xinhua news agency reported at the time.

The rover was due to become dormant for 14 days during the lunar night, when there would be no sunlight to power the rover's solar panel, reports said.

If confirmed, the latest suggestion of the demise of the robot will be seen as a major blow to China's ambitious space programme.

The announcement has also generated extensive discussion on Chinese social media.

Last edited:

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
If confirmed, the latest suggestion of the demise of the robot will be seen as a major blow to China's ambitious space programme.

I don't understand this. They sent it up there, soft-landed it and rolled it out. That's a major accomplishment.

No space program is without (sometimes major) problems. The slight seems hypocritical.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I don't understand this. They sent it up there, soft-landed it and rolled it out. That's a major accomplishment.

No space program is without (sometimes major) problems. The slight seems hypocritical.
It's a big achievement, but ultimately if the thing isn't working it's a mission failure. The US has a better rover driving around Mars without issue. At least their rockets don't explode on launch like NK's. China will figure it out eventually.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
It's a big achievement, but ultimately if the thing isn't working it's a mission failure. The US has a better rover driving around Mars without issue. At least their rockets don't explode on launch like NK's. China will figure it out eventually.

While I think Curiosity is an accomplishment, I think the better comparison is Opportunity...which is nearly 10 years past its 90 day warranty and still running (and had its own scare where NASA thought it was dead.)

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Great... now china is polluting the moon as they have ran out of room to store their trash. :p

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Whether it be a lunar rover or a weedeater, Chinese produced stuff is junk. Why would they be surprised?

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
A chinese newspaper reported that they found no evidence of an American Moon Landing, so it's mission was accomplished.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I figure it's just waiting there, silently armed and ready to protect the Moon from the next western invasion.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Still impressive they got it up there; it's not like NASA had 100% success. Anyone remember mars climate orbiter

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Let's not get too cocky. Remember this is Mars Rover #3, after one sailed past unresponsive and one played meteorite.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Whether it be a lunar rover or a weedeater, Chinese produced stuff is junk. Why would they be surprised?

Really? Well, a hell of a lot of Americans own and seem to be perfectly happy with a hell of a lot of Chinese-built equipment. For example, almost every developer at my company uses a Chinese-manufactured Macbook Pro.

China has plenty of problems, but they seem to be having a lot of success manufacturing stuff that 1st-world countries want to purchase.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Really? Well, a hell of a lot of Americans own and seem to be perfectly happy with a hell of a lot of Chinese-built equipment. For example, almost every developer at my company uses a Chinese-manufactured Macbook Pro.

China has plenty of problems, but they seem to be having a lot of success manufacturing stuff that 1st-world countries want to purchase.

How much success would they have if they had to comply with American, OSHA, EPA, and Labor standards?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Not only is their Rover dead but they also had huge/critical help from the European Space Agency (ESA). Without the ESA's satellites China would not have been able to communicate with the rover. Not sure how this is a "huge accomplishment".

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
One thing that people overlook is that in some ways the moon is a more challenging environment than Mars due to a much longer day/night schedule. (14 times longer) When you're dealing with battery powered rovers that rely on sunlight to recharge, that can be a big problem. If I'm not mistaken that's what got them in trouble here.

I think the Chinese rover is a pretty impressive accomplishment, despite its overall failure.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I am waiting to find out the percentage of hazardous lead they made it out of.

I am betting on the 20-25% range as it gives decent odds.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
One thing that people overlook is that in some ways the moon is a more challenging environment than Mars due to a much longer day/night schedule. (14 times longer) When you're dealing with battery powered rovers that rely on sunlight to recharge, that can be a big problem. If I'm not mistaken that's what got them in trouble here.

I think the Chinese rover is a pretty impressive accomplishment, despite its overall failure.

It is challenging dealing with the long lunar night.