Children don't inherit their parents' debts... until now [Program halted now]

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
They need to simplify how they construct these bills and set realistic timeframes and deadlines for passages. While I'm no fan of politicians, I don't see how anyone on the planet is going to be able to read and understand hundreds of pages a day every day, or, even after spending a year, is going to be able to read and understand 5,000 pages without some kind of testing implemented. Granted, they are the ones that would have to enact this process, so the blame rightfully falls on the according politicians.

Actually, testing seems like a good idea; if your representative fails the test of what's actually in the bill, your representative loses their ability to vote on the matter. I think that might help wake people up and give them a clear indication of how well the people they are electing are at their real jobs, and help to eliminate the "I'm not accountable, I didn't even know it was in there" claims. Then, maybe things will get back to being done proactively rather than reactively, too.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
1 proof of this

2 why is everything a rightwing/leftwing thing with you?

3 holding the children of parents accountable for something that happened when they were minors and without due process is unconstitutional as fuck.
It is truly amazing. A Democrat puts in a rider that everyone agrees is horrendous, a Democrat-controlled Congress passes it over a Republican President's veto, people on both sides complain now that we know it's there, and yet he sees this as the left heroically protecting us all against the right wing. One wonders how he manages to even post from his isolated "reality".

Bump for update in OP.
Thanks for the update.

To take out hidden riders would require them to micro manage their own bills. And I ask why is that too much to ask for with our elected officials?
It's sad when we have people defending our Congresscritters' right to be paid over a hundred grand a year with even more generous retirement and benefits without actually having to do their jobs. These sort of riders damage and destroy lives, and there should be zero tolerance for "I didn't know it was there." You don't make a law without knowing what the damned law says, period.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It is truly amazing. A Democrat puts in a rider that everyone agrees is horrendous, a Democrat-controlled Congress passes it over a Republican President's veto, people on both sides complain now that we know it's there, and yet he sees this as the left heroically protecting us all against the right wing. One wonders how he manages to even post from his isolated "reality".

Nice bit of false attribution. What I've objected to all along is the attributions & conflations of our far right posters in all of this. If you review the thread, y'all have dragged in every fringewhack hot button issue about de ebils of big gubmint, going down on each other in a frenzy of dick waving & mutual slurpage.

Bush didn't veto the bill because of this passage, nor did Dems & Repubs vote to override the veto because of this passage.

The HOR vote to override was 317-109. In the Senate, it was 80-14. They called it broad bipartisan support. None of it was about this rider at all. Repubs never objected to it, maybe because they didn't read the whole thing themselves.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/18/farm.bill/

Hate-um Gubmint! Hate-um Congress! Hate-um Obama! Hate-um! Hate-um! Hate-um!

Nobody's perfect, assholes, including Congress. Mistakes happen. The Obama Admin is moving this in the right direction. WTF do you want, anyway? A pony?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
--------------

You can thank the Republicans for this little manuever: "The aggressive effort to collect old debts started three years ago — the result of a single sentence tucked into the farm bill lifting the 10-year statute of limitations on old debts to Uncle Sam."

Edit: Nope I stand corrected, found information on who sponsored the bill: The bill was sponsered by Collin Peterson D MN. The bill was passed by the 110th congress. It was written by democrats who controlled both the House and the Senate at the time. The bill was vetoed by Bush. The veto was over ridden in June 2008.

Todd Russell Platts Republican. (check)
Michael J. Astrue Republican. (check)
Fake blame from a Republican. (check)

Trydefecta awarded
If you wish to pretend that long gone Republicans somehow snookered a Democrat into adding a rider expanding government power to his own bill and then somehow snookered a Democrat committee chairman into accepting it all unawares because he was busy doing his job of passing bills whose content was a mystery to him, you must have a grand plan which involves convincing people you are literally too stupid to breathe on your own. So good luck with that, I suppose.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
If you wish to pretend that long gone Republicans somehow snookered a Democrat into adding a rider expanding government power to his own bill and then somehow snookered a Democrat committee chairman into accepting it all unawares because he was busy doing his job of passing bills whose content was a mystery to him, you must have a grand plan which involves convincing people you are literally too stupid to breathe on your own. So good luck with that, I suppose.

Seriously? It took bipartisan support to override the veto! This is the exact environment for which such clauses are born.

It's really funny how you claim it as a Democratic conspiracy when all the evidence points to Republican ideals and is supported by the forensics.

Your logic is fail.