Chicken Hawks: Barking Head Brigade ! Line up front and center !!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Name: Rush Limbaugh
Born: 1951
Employer: Yack Radio
Conflict Avoided: Vietnam
Notes: Where to begin ... a joke about the Hindenburg? No, let's go right to the reason he had to stay home from the war - the world's most famous anal cyst. He's denied it, but www.snopes.com, the Urban Legends Reference Pages, has got the goods on him.

indeed, his own father was able to fight in ww2 even with this horrible ass pimple. rush is as ussual, a turd.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Perhaps it's just me, but I find it disturbing that those calling loudest for war in the present administration (and in conservative media land) were too good to serve themselves when they had the opportunity. Ass cysts and "other priorities" indeed.
rolleye.gif

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Perhaps it's just me, but I find it disturbing that those calling loudest for war in the present administration (and in conservative media land) were too good to serve themselves when they had the opportunity. Ass cysts and "other priorities" indeed.
rolleye.gif

It should'nt be distrubing.

Those who had the means back then could avoid fairly easily, plus thier daddy told them what wars are all about and to stay the fusk out let some other poor dumb SOB do the dirty work. Do'nt buy this silly ass patriot shell game we're playing.

Today those same people have to make a profit too. Wars a wonderful profit maker. Or hav'nt you read War is a racket by maj general butler?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize
How did this thread get to talking about gay accountants?
I made a joke and Galt saw it as an opportunity to launch a personal attack.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: alchemize
How did this thread get to talking about gay accountants?
I made a joke and Galt saw it as an opportunity to launch a personal attack.

My stepbrother is a gay accountant...please go back on topic! :D

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo
Believe me, he has WII's...don't ever assume you know what I know

Anyone else find this ironic or just me?

He must know cuz he said so..
Maybe an odd 1099 or maybe a schedual 'C' or 1065... lots of forms

What's all the fuss bout Viet Nam... seems a reasonable thing to avoid if one could..

:D

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

Most people that pay a "butt-load" don't have w2's. So how much jg knows.

I showed your posts to one of the accountants here and he laughed...so your assumption is that only people who are either in a partnership or shareholders pay "butt-loads" of taxes? Help us idiots out here, Einstein.
Yeah but we all know what strange little men accountants are;)

Is that so? :)

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
There are more Generals in todays military that have never stood in the face of the enemy than there are Chicken Hawks running the government.

Food for thought.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AndrewR
What's your military service record, incidentally?

Who cares?

He's not sending people off to die without the first clue about sacrifice/honor/integrity/truth or even what it feels like to work for a living.

Obviously I do. If he's going to start throwing stones, I'd like to know the foundations of his house, which appears to be crystalline since I haven't seen a response. Saying people "avoided Desert Storm" ranks on the Most Asinine Comments list in this forum since we've had an all volunteer force since the '70s, and the war was fought and completed before anyone could even make it through basic and AIT to get into an Army combat unit when the first inklings of a conflict started.

Regardless, the premise these days that a politician needs to have military experience excludes the majority of the population, and in a decade or so, veterans will be a miniscule minority in politics -- those with combat experience even more so. Incidentally, the liberal poster child for wartime presidents, FDR, never served in the military. I guess he was completely unqualified to command the American military in WWII, huh?

Does anyone realize that Chicken Hawk is a term for guys who like to sexually abuse little boys?

I first learned of the term from the book which bears that name, regarding Vietnam, by Robert Mason. I did a brief search but could not locate a background for the term. Anyone have Oxford Unabridged? I need to buy that.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Incidentally, the liberal poster child for wartime presidents, FDR, never served in the military. I guess he was completely unqualified to command the American military in WWII, huh?
Was he ever healthy enough to serve?

Anyway I think the point of bringing up their lack of experience in the Armed Services has more to do with their willingness to put our service men in harms way for the sake of Foriegn Policiy, not for our Nations Defense.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
What's your military service record, incidentally?
Who cares?

He's not sending people off to die without the first clue about sacrifice/honor/integrity/truth or even what it feels like to work for a living.
Obviously I do. If he's going to start throwing stones, I'd like to know the foundations of his house, which appears to be crystalline since I haven't seen a response. Saying people "avoided Desert Storm" ranks on the Most Asinine Comments list in this forum since we've had an all volunteer force since the '70s, and the war was fought and completed before anyone could even make it through basic and AIT to get into an Army combat unit when the first inklings of a conflict started.

Regardless, the premise these days that a politician needs to have military experience excludes the majority of the population, and in a decade or so, veterans will be a miniscule minority in politics -- those with combat experience even more so. Incidentally, the liberal poster child for wartime presidents, FDR, never served in the military. I guess he was completely unqualified to command the American military in WWII, huh?
Zebo gave you the straight answer, I gave you a joke answer. Sorry if you don't like either of them, but I'm not responsible for your entertainment.

The frequent suggestion that one must have military service to [ insert today's topic ] is both specious and offensive. As a citizen and a taxpayer, I have every right to have and express my opinions about any matters of public interest. If you can't accept that, I question whether you are well-suited to be defending our Constitution.

In spite of what you or others might try to imply, I have tremendous respect for our military, and for the men and women who serve. This does not require that I agree with every decision and every action. It isn't an all-or-nothing proposition.

For example, I grew up in a law enforcement family, worked as a civilian in a law enforcement agency for several years, and am generally a strong supporter of law enforcement. However, I do not believe the "war on drugs" is an effective use of resources. I don't think law enforcement has a legitimate role in the bedrooms of consenting adults. I do not support PATRIOT-type legislation that removes checks and balances from the system.

I support law enforcement ... but not unconditionally. I support our military ... but not unconditionally. I do not confuse my overall support with my right, my obligation, to have my own informed opinions about specific actions, decisions, and policies. In my opinion, the Bush administration's urge to send young Americans to their death is suspect when they, themselves, so carefully avoided military service. If you disagree with this, I'll be happy to debate the issue on its merits. I will not entertain some holier-than-thou notion that I have no right to an opinion just because I didn't serve in the military either.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
I support law enforcement ... but not unconditionally. I support our military ... but not unconditionally. I do not confuse my overall support with my right, my obligation, to have my own informed opinions about specific actions, decisions, and policies. In my opinion, the Bush administration's urge to send young Americans to their death is suspect when they, themselves, so carefully avoided military service. If you disagree with this, I'll be happy to debate the issue on its merits. I will not entertain some holier-than-thou notion that I have no right to an opinion just because I didn't serve in the military either.
And that's precisely why Andrew asked the question: A fishing expedition to determine whether someone critical of wartime decisions had military experience themselves and then attempt to discredit them if they did not. Andrew: Those posting in this thread are highly unlikely to be making the decisions to send our nation's troops off to war. If they were making those decisions, perhaps you would have a point. Otherwise, your question is irrelevant.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
doesn't that mean 200 million+ other americans avoided vietnam? we can't send everybody there.

makes u just wanna go out and join the ROTC

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
LIMBAUGH: On Bill Clinton: "Never trust a draft dodger." (Radio show, quoted in FRQ, Summer/93)

REALITY: Although a supporter of the Vietnam War, Limbaugh used a minor physical impairment to avoid the draft (Minneapolis Star Tribune, 9/27/93).
http://www.fair.org/press-releases/limbaugh-debates-reality.html

:)

its one thing not to serve, its another to make a career of calling clinton a draft dodging pot smoker:p

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
LIMBAUGH: On Bill Clinton: "Never trust a draft dodger." (Radio show, quoted in FRQ, Summer/93)

REALITY: Although a supporter of the Vietnam War, Limbaugh used a minor physical impairment to avoid the draft (Minneapolis Star Tribune, 9/27/93).
http://www.fair.org/press-releases/limbaugh-debates-reality.html

:)

its one thing not to serve, its another to make a career of calling clinton a draft dodging pot smoker:p
I think it's agreed upon by everybody that is capable of common sense that Limbaugh is the epitomy of a Hypocrite!

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Bowfinger,
The frequent suggestion that one must have military service to [ insert today's topic ] is both specious and offensive. As a citizen and a taxpayer, I have every right to have and express my opinions about any matters of public interest. If you can't accept that, I question whether you are well-suited to be defending our Constitution.
I agree with you totaly. Under law, during Vietnam we had a draft with exclusions and those who qualified were excluded. Some went to Canada or where ever but, were pardoned. We evolved to an all volunteer military. Having not volunteered does not preclude one from any position in government or rights of citizenship. Each and every one of us citizens have the right and the duty to opine, protest and concur with the goings on as we see fit!

In spite of what you or others might try to imply, I have tremendous respect for our military, and for the men and women who serve. This does not require that I agree with every decision and every action. It isn't an all-or-nothing proposition.
They agreed to serve in today's military and that is their choice. I spent from '64 - '69 doing my 'bit' but don't feel I've some greater right than you, Bowfinger, to opine on things military. I don't think the military gets paid consistent with the risk and for that I'm a bit put off. We should pay them what they ought to get and that would be respecting them IMO.

example, I grew up in a law enforcement family, worked as a civilian in a law enforcement agency for several years, and am generally a strong supporter of law enforcement. However, I do not believe the "war on drugs" is an effective use of resources. I don't think law enforcement has a legitimate role in the bedrooms of consenting adults. I do not support PATRIOT-type legislation that removes checks and balances from the system.

I support the rule of law. The folks who are directly linked to this in some way get as much support from me as does the folks who teach my grand kids. We are all part of society. Some have a greater risk in their job - the job they chose to perform.. I've a son who is a cop and don't recall him being drafted nor was my father come to think of it.. Me I'm a coward... so maybe I should be more gratefull for folks who choose the riskier professions but, wouldn't dream of giving them a louder voice in the general scheme of things.. Law enforcement and military stuff that they are more intimate with, sure to the same extent I feel more qualified to opine in my field of expertise.. raising turnips back onto the truck.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Bowfinger,
I agree with you totaly. Under law, during Vietnam we had a draft with exclusions and those who qualified were excluded. Some went to Canada or where ever but, were pardoned. We evolved to an all volunteer military. Having not volunteered does not preclude one from any position in government or rights of citizenship. Each and every one of us citizens have the right and the duty to opine, protest and concur with the goings on as we see fit!

They agreed to serve in today's military and that is their choice. I spent from '64 - '69 doing my 'bit' but don't feel I've some greater right than you, Bowfinger, to opine on things military. I don't think the military gets paid consistent with the risk and for that I'm a bit put off. We should pay them what they ought to get and that would be respecting them IMO.

example, I grew up in a law enforcement family, worked as a civilian in a law enforcement agency for several years, and am generally a strong supporter of law enforcement. However, I do not believe the "war on drugs" is an effective use of resources. I don't think law enforcement has a legitimate role in the bedrooms of consenting adults. I do not support PATRIOT-type legislation that removes checks and balances from the system.

I support the rule of law. The folks who are directly linked to this in some way get as much support from me as does the folks who teach my grand kids. We are all part of society. Some have a greater risk in their job - the job they chose to perform.. I've a son who is a cop and don't recall him being drafted nor was my father come to think of it.. Me I'm a coward... so maybe I should be more gratefull for folks who choose the riskier professions but, wouldn't dream of giving them a louder voice in the general scheme of things.. Law enforcement and military stuff that they are more intimate with, sure to the same extent I feel more qualified to opine in my field of expertise.. raising turnips back onto the truck.
Thanks, LR. Re. pay, I agree 100%. Neither cops nor soldiers are paid what they're worth. I know I'm biased because my dad was a cop, but I've always felt people who risk their lives to protect others ought to be well-paid for their service. It's really a bit of a sham. I was about 26 or 27 when my dad retired after 30+ years as a trooper. I was already making more in IT than he was at retirement. That just never seemed right.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
I will not entertain some holier-than-thou notion that I have no right to an opinion just because I didn't serve in the military either.

I don't think he said, nor implied, you didn't have a "right" to your opinion.

There are too many ignorant chumps in this world who believe they have the "right" to have their opinions respected--and if that respect isn't granted, indignation and insult take flight, ala:

If you can't accept that, I question whether you are well-suited to be defending our Constitution.

Get over yourself already.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I don't think the military gets paid consistent with the risk and for that I'm a bit put off. We should pay them what they ought to get and that would be respecting them IMO.

I agree with this. Especially sailors who can be away from thier family up to 9mo (underwater even), non-ncos, and combat arms. Combat pay should be $4000 a month.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I don't think the military gets paid consistent with the risk and for that I'm a bit put off. We should pay them what they ought to get and that would be respecting them IMO.

I agree with this. Especially sailors who can be away from thier family up to 9mo (underwater even), non-ncos, and combat arms. Combat pay should be $4000 a month.

For a private and tax free as it is .. maybe 5000$.. and if one takes a hit.. or is disabled they get fully retired until they are fully employable and for two years there after and then figure out the % disabled... or fully returned to duty

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: LunarRay

For a private and tax free as it is .. maybe 5000$.. and if one takes a hit.. or is disabled they get fully retired until they are fully employable and for two years there after and then figure out the % disabled... or fully returned to duty

You confused me for a sec with "it is" (why you and moonie write so hard?:p)

Anyway emmiment danger pay was raised this year but it's still less than $250:(

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Zebo,
hehehehe

Combat pay be tax free while in zone. :D Not sure about Officer Pay though... laws change..