Chicago's police union president says officers who kneel with Black Lives Matter protesters could be kicked out of the organization

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
I just read about him a few hours ago and it shoots down the idea of "a few bad apples". 4,708 cops voted for this guy knowing he's a big time a-hole. And he's been trouble "from the time he started with the department in January 1995 through mid-2017, Catanzara amassed at least 35 complaints alleging misconduct, records obtained by the Tribune showed." -- Chicago Tribune

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I kinda agree with the police not taking a stand or a kneel during business hours. It looks too unprofessional. Not that the police can not sympathize with the protestors and their cause, but better to do that off-time than on-time. It just looks too weird. As if American soldiers did the same during war, to sympathize with the killed despite the killed having been the enemy. I know.... the protestor ARE NOT the enemy in the case of black lives matter, but if the police are called in to maintain the calm and defuse the rioting then those police should not be handing out a judgment while doing their job of policing. Supporting the protestors and the protesting can be expressed by the police either by putting out statements and or live press conferences. I just think kneeling while doing their job looks not right. Does anyone believe this looks right?
Highly disagree. Seeing that helps diffuse the situation overall. That's 100% doing their job.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Is there any doubt that police Unions are too powerful and are part of the problem?
Where do they get these idiots?

John Catanzara, the new president of the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police told Fox32 Chicago that he didn't believe the current Black Lives Matter protests that broke out after the death of George Floyd were the "time or place" to be kneeling.

"If you kneel, you'll be risking being brought up on charges and thrown out of the lodge," Catanzara, who has been in office for a month, told Fox32.

"However, there's something you can do for us to prove your loyalty..."

Jul 9, 2009
Imagine a Firefighter union that swears to protect firefighters who are arsonist.
That's whats happening with police unions.

Imagine those arsonists only set fire to black households.
They would get the full backing of the union and people like those who are on my ignore list would respond with
- You don't know if that fire was going on before the firefighter poured gas all over the place.
- What about chicago fires? When are they going to do something about that?
- What about the blacks who are arsonists?
- Being a firefighter is hard we should be thanking them
What makes you think that Firefighter unions don't protect and represent accused arsonists?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
So if a florist sees somebody picking Roses and there by killing those Roses and they attack the picker, then the florist is duty bound to represent that florist in a court of law??

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
This is the guy that met his current GF while working a shift. At the local high school. Where she was a student.

It's official, 55% of Chicago PD are BAD COPS for voting for this clown.