Chicago Tribune endorses its first Democrat for President in its 161 year history.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Shoot down!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/...sement,0,3322086.story

Democrat Barack Obama on Friday won endorsements from two unlikely newspapers -- the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times.

While the Tribune is the largest daily in Obama's hometown, the publication hasn't backed a Democrat in its 161-year history. And the Times hasn't endorsed a presidential candidate since 1972, when it backed President Richard M. Nixon's re-election.

In an editorial posted on its Web site, the Tribune said the country needs a president who can lead it through a "perilous time" and restore "a common sense of national purpose." Obama is the best candidate to do that, the editorial board said.

"We have tremendous confidence in his intellectual rigor, his moral compass and his ability to make sound, thoughtful, careful decisions," the Tribune said. "He is ready."

Holy Frak! They have NEVER endorsed a Democrat in their 161 year history. And that includes Adlai Stevenson, twice, who also was from Illinois.
Here's how to look at it. This is more surprising an endorsement of Obama than if FoxNews endorsed him.
I wonder how this makes those who call Obama a candidate of the Cook County politcal machine, a Chicago Tribune enemy, feel?
This is BIG folks, really big.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
If you make one more post I'm voting for McCain just to spite you. And I hate McCain with a passion.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Farang
If you make one more post I'm voting for McCain just to spite you. And I hate McCain with a passion.
Yep, the politics of hate:D

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Obama: 59 Newspaper Endorsements, 8 Million Daily Circulation

McCain: 18 Newspaper Endorsements, 1.7 Million Daily Circulation

Text

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Text

It is striking how many Republican owned and leaning newspapers are endorsing Obama.
Nice linkage.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Hmmm. Maybe it's because of the fact that he's an Illinois Senator and Chicago is one of the most corrupt cities in the US. They like their own...

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Hmmm. Maybe it's because of the fact that he's an Illinois Senator and Chicago is one of the most corrupt cities in the US. They like their own...
LAWL :laugh:

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

:laugh: yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: RichardE

If Reagan rose from the dead and endorsed Obama I am sure you would just laugh it away too.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: RichardE

If Reagan rose from the dead and endorsed Obama I am sure you would just laugh it away too.

I would, because it doesn't matter :laugh:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: bsobel

Text

I'd trust this site a little more than prosebeforehos....

http://www.editorandpublisher...._content_id=1003874812

Showing 3.5m (Obama) vs 1.7m McCain

I agree with you on that.
In fact the other site had the New York Post endorsing Obama, which was wacky since the Post is a Rupert Murdoch rag. A little digging and I found it was the Post endorsing Obama over Hilary in the primary.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: winnar111
At least they're unbiased. The New York Times would endorse Joseph Stalin if he was a Democrat.

Joseph Stalin wouldn't have been Joseph Stalin if he was a democrat, so kinda silly point.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: winnar111
At least they're unbiased. The New York Times would endorse Joseph Stalin if he was a Democrat.
The RNC would channel George Wallace to win an election.

NM, too late.

blinky8225

Nov 23, 2004

Text

In fact the other site had the New York Post endorsing Obama, which was wacky since the Post is a Rupert Murdoch rag. A little digging and I found it was the Post endorsing Obama over Hilary in the primary.
What are you talking about? They both have the New York Post under McCain...

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: blinky8225

Text

What are you talking about? They both have the New York Post under McCain...

Gee, think this is why http://www.nypost.com/seven/09...john_mccain_128044.htm ?

Edit: NM, that was in response to Techs comment which appears false (now I get it)