Chicago shooting Mercy hospital

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Well it's happened again
Chicago shooting - live: Four in critical condition after gunman opens fire in Mercy hospital

Three people are in critical condition, including a police officer, after a shooting Monday afternoon at Chicago's Mercy Hospital, a Chicago Fire Department spokesman said.
The suspect was also shot and is in critical condition, spokesman Walter Schroeder said. The suspect has been identified as a 32-year-old male, according to a Chicago police source.]

Moved from OT.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I saw that earlier. As horrific as it is, part of me wants to "make fun" of the concept of shootings in Chicago...with their super-strict gun laws...but dammit...this shit is still terrible, and not the least bit funny.

Nov 25, 2013
Possibly over a broken engagement:

"The shooting began after the gunman confronted his girlfriend outside the hospital in Bronzeville, possibly over a “broken engagement,” sources said. The gunman shot the woman at least three times, then stood over her and fired some more, witnesses said. He then ran inside where he shot the officer and another person. The gunman fired at other officers, and a bullet struck the holster of one of them, burrowing into the side of his gun, sources said. A fragment of the bullet fell into his pocket.

It was not known how the gunman was shot.

James Gray said he saw at least two people get shot. Gray said he was coming out of the clinic area when he saw a man in a black coat, black hat and dark pants shoot a woman three times in the chest. The man and the woman had been walking and talking to each other before the shooting, he said. The gunman stood over the woman and shot her three more times after she fell to the ground, said Gray. Then a squad car turned its lights on and came down the drive and the gunman shot at the squad car."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...ng-mercy-hospital-chicago-20181119-story.html

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well at least help was near. Thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Despite all of the prayers of devout Republicans every time this happens the Judeo Christian god hasn't done anything to solve the problem of weekly (?) public shootings in the US. Maybe they'd be better off with Baphomet.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Despite all of the prayers of devout Republicans every time this happens the Judeo Christian god hasn't done anything to solve the problem of weekly (?) public shootings in the US. Maybe they'd be better off with Baphomet.

Daily, not weekly. This is day 324 and the Chicago's Mercy Hospital shooting was officially mass shooting number 315. There was one in Denver yesterday evening (which was overshadowed by the coverage of the Chicago) moving the number to 316.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Daily, not weekly. This is day 324 and the Chicago's Mercy Hospital shooting was officially mass shooting number 315. There was one in Denver yesterday evening (which was overshadowed by the coverage of the Chicago) moving the number to 316.

What qualifies as a "mass shooting"? The media lies about the number of school shootings, I wouldn't be shocked if the number of "mass shootings" was a completely made up number as well.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I saw that earlier. As horrific as it is, part of me wants to "make fun" of the concept of shootings in Chicago...with their super-strict gun laws...but dammit...this shit is still terrible, and not the least bit funny.

What really isn't funny is how Chicago's attempt to control gun violence is undermined by the areas around it. Chicago is just proof that local gun control is ineffective. Access to guns is an issue that needs to be addressed on a national level to have any hope of making an impact on gun violence.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Reactions: DarthKyrie

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Got it, so if three people got shot in the hand they're calling it a mass shooting.

If someone went out into a courtyard and started shooting, and happened to just hit 3 people in the hands, then yes that would be a mass shooting. Are you claiming that is what any of these were? If not then what exactly is your point or are you just being pedantic?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If someone went out into a courtyard and started shooting, and happened to just hit 3 people in the hands, then yes that would be a mass shooting. Are you claiming that is what any of these were? If not then what exactly is your point or are you just being pedantic?

The URL posted shows any number of people greater than three injured or killed as a mass shooting. I disagree with that being a mass shooting, but whatever, so long as it is consistent then it can tell a story. But to me, that isn't what I would consider a mass shooting. Clearly in the listed shootings there were situations where no one died and three people were injured and it was called a mass shooting.

The media lies about school shootings, higher numbers and more fantastic headlines get more clicks and views, more revenue. Everything, including shootings, are sensationalized.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
thats definitely a good excuse for you to bombard the forums with logical fallacies every day.

An opinion that isn't part of the leftist group think doesn't mean it is false. But I understand that any deviation from the liberal hive mind won't be accepted these days.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
What you traitor conservaterrorists don't understand is 25 years ago when I was a teenager..
We used to go to the movies or the malls for fun.
We used to look forward to going to school in the morning to be with our friends.
We used to want to drive our muscle cars.
We knew the enemies were Russians.

Now we have daily shootings in malls, movie theaters, schools, road rage incidents and we're so demented we don't even know who the real enemy is.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The URL posted shows any number of people greater than three injured or killed as a mass shooting. I disagree with that being a mass shooting, but whatever, so long as it is consistent then it can tell a story. But to me, that isn't what I would consider a mass shooting. Clearly in the listed shootings there were situations where no one died and three people were injured and it was called a mass shooting.

The media lies about school shootings, higher numbers and more fantastic headlines get more clicks and views, more revenue. Everything, including shootings, are sensationalized.

You are conflating mass murder and mass shooting. Often a mass murder is also a mass shooting, and a mass shooting a mass murder, but not always. They are two different things.

Either way, I think we can both agree it is bad and something we wish there was less of.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
What you traitor conservaterrorists don't understand is 25 years ago when I was a teenager..
We used to go to the movies or the malls for fun.
We used to look forward to going to school in the morning to be with our friends.
We used to want to drive our muscle cars.
We knew the enemies were Russians.

Now we have daily shootings in malls, movie theaters, schools, road rage incidents and we're so demented we don't even know who the real enemy is.

Your glorious leader, Obozo, said that the Russians are not the enemy and that we should give them more flexibility and uranium.