Question Chia hard drive mining?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Seems like the next big thing. Are you guys doing it? It sounds like it's really taking off. It looks like the best way to go would be to sell off mining GPUs before they become useless and use the money to build a giant SSD farm. Your thoughts? Seems like SSD prices are already increasing in some regions.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Man... this has to be the biggest wasteful thing for virtual currency.
Your actually burning physical for virtual.

I am just glad i got every SSD and HDD i needed. I just hope i will not have to hotswap any of my NAS drives with my spare disks, because i have a feeling i won't be able to replace my spares i have should i end up using them.

kalmquist

Aug 1, 2014
I have zero interest in owning or mining crypto currencies, but this post did answer my question about what's happening to the hard drive market. On April 11, the Seagate ST14000NM001G cost $291 on Newegg, Today the price is $530, and it's back ordered with a limit of one per customer.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Was thinking of Chia mining, then I did calculations.

Decided against it. It makes no financial sense, even if pools become available. The Netspace growth is nearly 10% a day. Compared to a month ago, it grew by 13x.

Unlike Eth mining where people will turn their rigs off when value/revenue goes down, there's almost no reason to turn off Chia rigs as the power use is much lower.

Which means the Netspace can only go up. What was $1/TB revenue 2 days ago is like $0.8/TB today. And it'll drop to under 10 cents in a month.