chest exercise with curl bar.

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001
what kind of exercise can i do on the curl bar to focus the workout on my chest? (i don't have a bench to do bench press)

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
If you don't have a bench, one of the best chest exercises you can do is wide grip dips between 2 chairs. Grab a couple sturdy chairs and place them about 3 feet apart. Dip slowly and concentrate on the stretch you will get in the pecs. If you place the chairs too close together you will not get the same stretch from the pecs, so keep the chairs a good distance apart.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Rudee
If you don't have a bench, one of the best chest exercises you can do is wide grip dips between 2 chairs. Grab a couple sturdy chairs and place them about 3 feet apart. Dip slowly and concentrate on the stretch you will get in the pecs. If you place the chairs too close together you will not get the same stretch from the pecs, so keep the chairs a good distance apart.

are these similar to push ups?

you can try them with elevated feet.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother

Certainly you've heard of dips before, haven't you? Completely different from pushups. Dips involve lifting your entire bodyweight. Pushups only involve about 2/3rds of your bodyweight. Dips are much harder and more productive for the upperbody.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother

dips

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
There isn't much you can do for your chest if you don't have a bench. Even if you had a bench, curl bar concentrates more on your triceps, than chest. I think the best exercise for you is plain ol' pushups.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Argo
There isn't much you can do for your chest if you don't have a bench. Even if you had a bench, curl bar concentrates more on your triceps, than chest. I think the best exercise for you is plain ol' pushups.

I don't see how pushing a curl bar off your chest is any different than doing push ups or bench press, but I'm a noob @ workouts so I'm probably misunderstanding.

HamSupLo

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
buy two 45 lb dumbbells and do dumbbell presses...the curl bars should only be for your arms :p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
If you can't do dips, other than pushups you're basically SOL for working your chest. I've personally never gotten any chest workout out of all of the dips I've tried, though a lot of people swear by them. Must be my build. Similaraly I can't do regular deadlifts, and have to sumo-style them. I suck.

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Well, it wouldn't be a 'GOOD' chest workout, but you can do presses with your curl bar, but just try to go as wide out on the bar as you can. Also you might want to try doing some half-assed form of flys with whatever loose plates you have. Aside from that, you don't have too much to work with.

You might want to try to supercompensate your chest by weakening your tri's first so your chest has to pick up the slack.... for example..

Do some overhead tricep extensions or skull-crushers until fail before you try doing the above mentioned presses. If your triceps are weakened out, your chest will have to kick in more to lift the same kind of weight.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: jooksing
buy two 45 lb dumbbells and do dumbbell presses...the curl bars should only be for your arms :p

DO not do this unless you have a spoter!

I would recommend getting some push up stands. That way you can go down further than you normally could using palm on floor. Also, try it with you feet on a chair so you can get more of an incline.

Dips are great! Unfortunately I have ticepts from hell so they end up doing more work than my chest.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: azazyel

I would recommend getting some push up stands. That way you can go down further than you normally could using palm on floor. Also, try it with you feet on a chair so you can get more of an incline.

Dips are great! Unfortunately I have ticepts from hell so they end up doing more work than my chest.

Dumbbell presses need a spotter?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

If you're pumping 250/hand like I do, they do.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: element®
Originally posted by: Argo

I don't see how pushing a curl bar off your chest is any different than doing push ups or bench press, but I'm a noob @ workouts so I'm probably misunderstanding.

What I think he meant was that the way the curl bar is designed was meant to focus more on your biceps/triceps (depending on the excercise). If you placed your hands in the normal spot for bench press then it should work the same area as a normal bar would.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb

If you're pumping 250/hand like I do, they do.

Amateur. I do 250/hand as warmups.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000

Anything done with free weights is better with a spotter. Plus this guy might go till faliure and drop it on his head. Personally I need one because my shoulder can rotate too much in the joint and actually come close to popping out so I need to be very carefull when I raise anything heavy over my head.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

Anything done with free weights is better with a spotter. Plus this guy might go till faliure and drop it on his head. Personally I need one because my shoulder can rotate too much in the joint and actually come close to popping out so I need to be very carefull when I raise anything heavy over my head.

That's true. You're more safety conscious than I am. I'd probably just drop it on my head and shrug it off :D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

That's true. You're more safety conscious than I am. I'd probably just drop it on my head and shrug it off :D
Yep, you shrugged off that hit to the head when you were baby. You can do it again :p

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

Yep, you shrugged off that hit to the head when you were baby. You can do it again :p

Whatever it did, it gave me much better taste in cars than it did for you. :evil:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Whatever it did, it gave me much better taste in cars than it did for you. :evil:
Sadly if not for the internal injuries you'd understand the error in your tastes :( Ever seen a monkey eat his own poo? Or a dog? Silly things don't know what's good for 'em!

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

Sadly if not for the internal injuries you'd understand the error in your tastes :( Ever seen a monkey eat his own poo? Or a dog? Silly things don't know what's good for 'em!

Not unlike most Nissan owners. Sh!t_Quality! Sh!t_Resalevalue! I think all that time in Canada with the poor quality air and smog must have given you mental retardation.