ChessBrain - new DC project !!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moriakaice

Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, see him too...

And the tone - it was only reply for my earlier e-mail to him, in which I ask him to go here and reply you guys !! Maybe it is because it... anyway, it is only because me, not Carlos !! If you come to CB BBS, you will see, how cool guy he is !!

PeterN

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
hehe,

I know he isn't that bad. :D Have already been to the forum and seen him in action.
Even got a reply to my Q I mentioned somewhere above.
He said it was an interesting idea, but they couldn't give the win/loss ratio , basically because the conditions weren't right.
Said I can understand that, but was still interested in some sort of improvement progress report, besides the weekly report he is already making on the forum.

Still don't like the tone of that msg. :p

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
PR is 90% of the game, you don't tell people off who are willing to help your cause like he did, he can go eat hay.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by: narzy
PR is 90% of the game, you don't tell people off who are willing to help your cause like he did, he can go eat hay.

Yepperz!

annoying attitude to be sure...... If I read it twice, I can see plenty of room for mis-interpretation..... OK dude... this one's a freebie :)

-Sid

GhettoFob

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2001
Does anyone know if using extra ram helps? I'm thinking of running this along side DF. That would mean almost 256 megs of ram dedicated to crunching. :Q Good thing I just picked up a 256 stick last week. :)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
are there not stats for teams? ie how we compare to others inside TEAMANANDTECH ?

i only see team stats and individual , not intra-team stats

PeterN

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
It is only possible to look on the individuals roster to see who is on which team and how team mates are doing. :(

There is a possibility though, to download the stats (on a daily basis) in both delimited file or xml.
That would be the rough data, with which you can then make a database or spreadsheet to design your own stats generator. :D

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Hi GhettoFob, I am trying 32 meg and 128 meg to see if there is a difference.
I just started so I have nothing to compare with yet.
Maybe someone else knows.
Hi Team!!!!

:)

SlangNRox

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is anyone else getting a lot of these?

Job aborted at request of server.

I assume that these jobs do not count in the stats. I see 10 of these in a row when looking at Peernode Network Monitor. I wonder if it has to do with the speed of your cpu and if someone else finishes the work before I have a chance to.

PeterN

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
Hi Winr, welcome to our tiny chess-team. :D

I also get a lot of refused jobs. Suppose it has something to do with probability of a certain move and not with the type of proc or comp your using.
It is somewhere on the website, but don't know where.

Afaik, all calculations are counted for.
If you look closely, you'll see different kinds of stats on the team page. There is a difference between:
  • Total Nodes Processed (in billions)
  • Total Jobs Processed
  • Total Jobs Accepted
  • Total CPU time (in hours)
  • Total Team Members

Since they make the effort to distinguish between all those, I find it hard to believe, disgarded jobs are not counted.

moriakaice

Mar 15, 2003
Hey, could soneone create a ministe about CB & TA ?? With info, what is CB, how to join TeAm... So, could anybody help ??

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
i have it installed on my work laptop and work computer as a service using firedaemon.
im am watching the peer node monitor and the only time it has shown any work is right when it starts.
i am running SAH on both of these machines too.
its been a good 8-10 minutes since chessbrain has done anything.
i have the .conf file set to above_normal
i have the firedaemon service set to normal.
why isnt this doing any work?

moriakaice

Mar 15, 2003
I dunno. Maybe S@H taking too much resources ?? but no matter, as long you are returning results, even it takes more time to do this... THX for suporting TeAm...
And maybe you set too low memory for CB ??

BTW. So, anybody can create a minipage CB & TA ??

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
well i would set it to more than 16 megs
and tried it briefly, but it didnt seem to make any difference.
so i figure if it makes no difference why use the extra ram.
i will try it again.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
it only runs intermittently, that is normal

this is a DC client that you want to run with a "normal/other" DC client, since CB only does work intermittently

moriakaice

Mar 15, 2003
If it doesn't help, I really don't know, what to do.. Try asking about it at CB forum !!

BTW. So, anybody can create a minipage CB & TA ??

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
okay just an update
i let my two machines run over lunchtime.
i came back and both have done work, quite a bit actually.
so cool.
i guess it does work
:D

moriakaice

Mar 15, 2003
Hey guys !!

I need your help again !!

we need to write some text for http://www.chessbrain.net/dcteams-about.html about our TeAm - who could do this ?? if somebody want to do this, PM me with this text... And we could provide 128x128 image our TeAm - is there any that we could use ?? Please, help me !! Carlos said me, that it there will be some articles about CB.. so, we need to be listed at TeAms page !!

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
>this is a DC client that you want to run with a "normal/other" DC client, since CB only does work intermittently

are you saying that we can run this along with DF for example ???

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: NicColt
>this is a DC client that you want to run with a "normal/other" DC client, since CB only does work intermittently

are you saying that we can run this along with DF for example ???

Yes, we certainly are saying that :)

CB uses about 1-2% of the CPU for a few seconds every few minutes. Which means that it hardly needs anything at all! Even just checking your email will use more CPU power than CB! ;)

Confused

panhead49

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2001
i have a ahhh.....stupid question.......i looked for an answer but could'nt see one ........do you have to be on-line all the time while running CB??.........

is it someway like seti that you can work and crunch ,..then maybe once a day connent to upload results....??

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
chess brain can only crunch while you are online because it is playing chess games real time. It's opponent wouldn't like it very much if it only moved once a day ;)

However, if you are only online for an hour a day, then chess brain should still work, but only for that hour.