Cherry Trail experience exceeds expectations

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Got one of those NuVision cheap 8 inch Windows 10 tablets on sale over the holiday season and I'm very, very surprised by how good it is. I have the TM800W610L, which comes with the Atom x5-Z8300 cpu and a mere 2GB of RAM.

Windows 10 is surprisingly snappy and I really don't feel any performance hangups while browsing, watching and streaming HD video, running basic apps and such. The little SSD in there is not amazing but it's fast enough and frankly, this is on par or better than some lower-spec laptops with 4GB ram I've used in recent years. Full blown 64-bit Windows 10 is a nice plus.

This would struggle as a laptop replacement if you plan on doing any major editing but a lot of people could get away with it if all they do is Facebook/email and such.

I think the performance of this Cherry Trail atom is what makes it so usable. It's a quad and seems to have just enough grunt to get past the dreadful performance level benchmark. In tablet mode, it's a total pleasure to use while switching around apps and such.

ashetos

Jul 23, 2013
I would have been all over those Atom x5-Z8300 products if it weren't for the dumb 2GB intel limit. Such a waste ...

Reactions: dark zero

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Interesting, as the OP in the Hot Deals thread was unhappy with his, and returned it. Said it was sluggish.

I really like my Bay Trail quad Lenovo IdeaPad 100S laptop, but it only has 2GB of RAM, and a 32-bit UEFI / 32-bit Windows 10, so it won't run Waterfox.

I also have a Cherry Trail chinese-made "TV box", with Windows 10 on it, and I stopped using it for a HTPC, because it was unreliable. It also seemed somewhat sluggish to me, and it would get "stuck" at the Windows Lock / Login Screen, when attempting to wake it from monitor sleep mode.

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
Wow, I didn't know that. What a stupid decision. Though I own cheap no-name Z3735 Atom, 2 GB RAM tablet and it works quite well. I only get low-memory message when 2 users are logged in at the same time. So when I want to switch user, I usually need to log-out from the first account.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
They're $85 for a reason! A more-competent Core-M based tablet is $270 or so.

ariknowsbest

Jun 20, 2016
Did get a HP Stream 7 (Bay Trail quad) for 30€, I think it will be rather nice when I get Windows 10 installed. My Surface RT feels faster in my tasks and it handles updates better.

But overall I bought this mainly for 365 and see what it's capable of.