Cherokee nation expels black descendants from tribe

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
So, when it comes to states wanting them to tax non-Indians who buy cigarettes and gas on their land, they throw a hissy fit and point to all sorts of treaties and claim that white man doesn't want to follow the treaties and fight it tooth and nail in court to follow the treaties - but then, when it's something that THEY want, then, well, forget about the treaty.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So, when it comes to states wanting them to tax non-Indians who buy cigarettes and gas on their land, they throw a hissy fit and point to all sorts of treaties and claim that white man doesn't want to follow the treaties and fight it tooth and nail in court to follow the treaties - but then, when it's something that THEY want, then, well, forget about the treaty.

Doc...that's the way it's always been.

The white man offered a treaty to the natives that would last" As long as the sun is in the sky and as long as the waters flow," Then they dammed the rivers, told the Chief that the sun no longer shone...and broke the treaty...All it took was for someone to discover something of value inside the landw covered by the treaty...and they'd find an excuse to break it...happened for many, many years.
"The great white father in Washington" promises blah, blah, blah," but the next president isn't bound to honor the treaty...

The tribes sued the US Government a few years back, claiming mis-management on the "Indian Trusts...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/08/national/main5937499.shtml

The Office of Special Trustee was established by Congress in 1994 to reform financial management of the trust system. Indians sued in 1996, claiming the mismanagement cost them between $10 billion and $40 billion.

They settled for $3.4 Billion...but I'll be surprised if they actually get it all...

sleep

Aug 23, 2010
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it. - Red Cloud
images

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I am a bit biased because I do have Cherokee blood as well as Black Feet blood in my family but here are my views. The freedmen that were accepted into the Cherokee nation were accepted at the time because the Indians felt some kinship with how the slaves were being treated. It was for that current generation and that generations direct descendants. It was never intended to be something for every generation to the end of time anymore than I can claim to be part of the Cherokee nation because I have a great grandmother that was Cherokee. It doesn't work like that. You have to have a portion of your heritage above a certain percentage. It is like a black person calling themselves a member of a Kenyan Tribe because 300 years ago they had a family member from it.

The Cherokee heritage is falling apart and this is one of the moves to fix it, to bring it back to having a meaning again. It has been so diluted from outside influence that the language itself is in extreme danger. There is only an estimated 200 people that can still speak the language fluently. Sure they have their problems with corruption but this wasn't about the money. It was about stopping anyone who might have ever in recorded history had Cherokee blood claiming to be Cherokee. The way the Cherokee are trying to move to is one of if you are Cherokee and claim to be Cherokee then you have to participate and show that you are by first looking within the tribe for marriage and trying to practice the ways, not just show up on payday for a check.

Last edited:

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
I am a bit biased because I do have Cherokee blood as well as Black Feet blood in my family but here are my views. The freedmen that were accepted into the Cherokee nation were accepted at the time because the Indians felt some kinship with how the slaves were being treated. It was for that current generation and that generations direct descendants. It was never intended to be something for every generation to the end of time anymore than I can claim to be part of the Cherokee nation because I have a great grandmother that was Cherokee. It doesn't work like that. You have to have a portion of your heritage above a certain percentage. It is like a black person calling themselves a member of a Kenyan Tribe because 300 years ago they had a family member from it.

The Cherokee heritage is falling apart and this is one of the moves to fix it, to bring it back to having a meaning again. It has been so diluted from outside influence that the language itself is in extreme danger. There is only an estimated 200 people that can still speak the language fluently. Sure they have their problems with corruption but this wasn't about the money. It was about stopping anyone who might have ever in recorded history had Cherokee blood claiming to be Cherokee. The way the Cherokee are trying to move to is one of if you are Cherokee and claim to be Cherokee then you have to participate and show that you are by first looking within the tribe for marriage and trying to practice the ways, not just show up on payday for a check.

I agree with you. Its interesting to note the double standards in the world today, a Cherokee must be Cherokee by race, but there are plenty of African people in the UK [for example] who claim to be Englishmen by simply being born there. Their parents were from Nigeria however which makes them not English, they are still a different Ethnic group but they are British by nationality. Just as anyone born in the US is American but not a Cherokee [despite being born on historical Cherokee lands].

Ethnic group and nationality is something people confuse all the time.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
LOLZ no one likes black people except blonde haired girls... little jungle fever... black on white crime.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
10-12 in? Kabeech? Madonna made a song about it "Like a virgin"

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
It's ibullshit why people discriminate but it's there unfortunately. Best way around it is overachieve, reguarless, you'll be on top because green everyone understands.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I agree with you. Its interesting to note the double standards in the world today, a Cherokee must be Cherokee by race, but there are plenty of African people in the UK [for example] who claim to be Englishmen by simply being born there. Their parents were from Nigeria however which makes them not English, they are still a different Ethnic group but they are British by nationality. Just as anyone born in the US is American but not a Cherokee [despite being born on historical Cherokee lands].

Ethnic group and nationality is something people confuse all the time.

It's a load of bullshit. Who cares if they're not Cherokee by race, they were accepted into the fucking tribe. Way to go Hitler, keep that pure blood line going, it's ok though because the "Indians" were treated poorly. Dipshits.

Wordplay

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2010
They used to own the entire country.
And just like every other nation in the history of the world they got concurred and lost their land.

Personally I think it's about time to get rid of these Native American reservations all together.

boochi

May 21, 2011
In jest, lets follow the lead of the Cherokee nation and expel all the blacks from ours.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
And just like every other nation in the history of the world they got concurred and lost their land.

Personally I think it's about time to get rid of these Native American reservations all together.

Hmmm I think you mean conquered. That's hardly a typo, but a total display of ignorance to what your are trying to preach.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
It's a load of bullshit. Who cares if they're not Cherokee by race, they were accepted into the fucking tribe. Way to go Hitler, keep that pure blood line going, it's ok though because the "Indians" were treated poorly. Dipshits.

They were not accepted into the tribe. The people that were accepted into the tribe are dead . It isn't about skin color as they have thousands of black people that are still remaining members. The difference is those people stayed within the tribe and the others did not. Did you know that there are members of the Cherokee nation that were not born as Cherokee ? They got to be members by living and participating with the tribe and following the religion, learning the language and history. These people are accepted into the tribe because they have the heart of the Cherokee people. The people that are complaining now are doing so because they are out of a free lunch when they didn't care anything about the Cherokee people except that they got paid.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
They were not accepted into the tribe. The people that were accepted into the tribe are dead . It isn't about skin color as they have thousands of black people that are still remaining members. The difference is those people stayed within the tribe and the others did not. Did you know that there are members of the Cherokee nation that were not born as Cherokee ? They got to be members by living and participating with the tribe and following the religion, learning the language and history. These people are accepted into the tribe because they have the heart of the Cherokee people. The people that are complaining now are doing so because they are out of a free lunch when they didn't care anything about the Cherokee people except that they got paid.
I wonder to what extent that is true; how many of these blacks live on the rez? How many are actively involved with the tribe? I also wonder to what extent they have interbred. Is this a return to the unpleasant old days, when 1/32 "black blood" was enough to condemn?

I think this is within their rights, but it's definitely a dick move. If one is a member of a tribe, those membership rights should pass down just like every other member's rights.

sleep

Aug 23, 2010
you shouldn't blame them, blame the ignorant people that gave them the blacks and all of this stuff wouldn't have happened. now that's there mistake.

alot of reservations are not going out of extinct or inbreds. good choice on them, stay with their own ethnicity.

i know there are alot of racist people out there as you can see here.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I wonder to what extent that is true; how many of these blacks live on the rez? How many are actively involved with the tribe? I also wonder to what extent they have interbred. Is this a return to the unpleasant old days, when 1/32 "black blood" was enough to condemn?

I think this is within their rights, but it's definitely a dick move. If one is a member of a tribe, those membership rights should pass down just like every other member's rights.

bloodline is big in the Indian tribes. Just like old English Kingdoms.

My neighbor gets a check still and he is not much indian and doesn't do anything 'with those losers' as he calls them. He is also pissed about how his dad didn't marry another tribe member and that cost him like 4x the check he gets. I don't know how much it is...but he is blue collar and has a really nice house.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
bloodline is big in the Indian tribes. Just like old English Kingdoms.

My neighbor gets a check still and he is not much indian and doesn't do anything 'with those losers' as he calls them. He is also pissed about how his dad didn't marry another tribe member and that cost him like 4x the check he gets. I don't know how much it is...but he is blue collar and has a really nice house.
LOL One can only imagine how his mother feels about that belief.