Chemicals In Your Turkey?

skywhr

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Is there really a chemical in turkey that makes you sleepy or is it an Urban Legend?

madthumbs

Banned
Oct 1, 2000
Yes,
It's a hormone used to make them grow faster. It's name is melatonin, and you can buy it over the counter as a sleep aid. However, I don't consider it entirely safe, as no hormone or drug should be considered safe.

There are hormones in beef as well, and genetically altered foods are everywhere now. We got killer bees thanks to genetically altering bees, and now we play with fire again. It's best not to worry about the stuff, as that is what usually gets us. 99% of illness is believed to be psychosomatic, or stress induced.

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
<> We got killer bees thanks to genetically altering bees, and now we play with fire again. It's best not to worry about the stuff, as that is what usually gets us. 99% of illness is believed to be psychosomatic, or stress induced. <>

killer bees are african wild honey bees. no genetic manipulation.

99% of illness ?

a little education would be helpful here... but I am sure wasted...

Theslowone

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2000
There were genetically altered bees from south america that slowly came north through Mexico and into the lower region of the United States.

noophage

Nov 20, 2000
It's tryptophan, not melatonin, which is present in turkey. I don't know for sure whether melatonin is used in raising turkeys, but I doubt it, as I don't really see any benefit it would give.

As was stated above, killer bees are &quot;africanized&quot; honey bees. No genetic manipulation beyond natural crossbreeding.

noophage, who used to be TheNerd.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
And as a matter of fact, the africanized bee's do exihit the trait that was used as justification for the cross-breeding. They are much more aggresive at collecting honey and in fact collect something like 30% more honey then european bees. They just have this nasty side effect of being really really defensive of the hive.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Last I heard the amino acid tryptophan in turkeys is supposed to be naturally occuring.

However, after stuffing yourself with turkey (etc.) at a feast is bound to make you tired anyway (if not, think about washing the dishes).

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thank you guys. I was just about to post tryptophan, but I see you beat me to it. Melatonin? Hehe. I think SOMEONE'S turkey contains another chemical: CRACK. ;)

Ricky
DesignDawg