Cheez moved out to wilderness, then got free housing, & going back to Wilderness

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Guys, I moved out of my apartment and set up my tents in the wilderness end of June (got out of my apartment 1 month early). This is my 25 days so far. I posted this because forum admin wanted some proof that I'm for real and not trolling. Watch the video here ->

Setting up tents was a piece of cake, but setting up tarps has been very difficult cause the trees are so close together. Been going through very hot days 91~ 95F (heat index up to 107F) but my new home is under constant shade and breeze keep my place cool. It is barely bearable. My biggest suffering are:

1) Hundreds of mosquitos biting me. My entire body is covered with bitten marks. They attack everyday.

2) Racoons robbing my place stealing my food everyday. They also tore open my secondary (storage) tent to steal my food. Food cost has been high therefore.

Does anyone have a strong metal cage that you don't use? Can you give it to me please? So that I can secure my food. I currently store food in my car as a workaround but it's a long way walk. Or do you know any place I can get one cheap? Amazon is asking $150-$350 for a dog cage too expensive for me I can't seem to find a right one for cheap online..

Can you please provide me a box of bug sprays to keep mosquitos away? Or do you where I can get them with great discounts? Or any other ways to keep the bugs away? I really need help here..

Thanks

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Looks like you're close to moving water? I'd move away from that. You could get flooded out, and getting away from water should cut the skeeter issue.

Reactions: clamum

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Yeah it's very close to the river... I have no other place to go.. This is the best spot I found oh and it's at high elevation so no worry for flood.

I just looked at trunk chests and they appear to be small...almost miniture size. The bigger ones are expensive

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Typed "propane mosquito" into Amazon .... here's something that runs on butane/propane blend fuel.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Backpacker-Mosquito-Repeller-24-Hour/dp/B074B5WX5X/

71iS8qFcX%2BL._SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: Captante and cheez

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I will check into propane mosquito thingy to see if it is cheaper route than the bug sprays those bug sprays are not cheap ($8 for an 11 oz can) and lasted me two weeks

Looking for a roommate? Lol my tent is full I have a cat with me but you're welcome to move in across from where I am at.. Looks like my neighbor moved out

I'll check out Sawyer thingy...

What??! Summer is already 2/3? Wow that's great to hear cause I'm tired of this hot weather...can't wait for winter to come plus no mosquitos
I'm gonna use thermal pads to cover base and the sides of my tent

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I will check into propane mosquito thingy to see if it is cheaper route than the bug sprays those bug sprays are not cheap ($8 for an 11 oz can) and lasted me two weeks

Cutter dual pack of spray at WalMart is $11.
Repel 6.5oz spray is $3.89 at WalMart

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
The local news had a story about raccoons attacking chickens. The raccoons somehow cut through thick steel wire. Good luck stopping them. :(

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
To help combat the mosquitoes try wiping mud over your exposed skin. Long sleeves and long pants will help deter them to. Yeah I know it's summer but your living in the woods.....You live close to water so making mud should be easy.
To prevent critters getting into your food try hanging it from a tree. Put your food in duffel bag then hang it high enough off the ground that hey cant get to it. Make the rope coming down from the tree long enough that they can't climb down it and get to your food.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Does the OP live in an area with bears? Because I think you need a metal box with solid sides so that animals can't track the scent of your food. Also, a bear would probably make short work of a wire cage.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Camping once, we locked all of our food up in the car, but one of the guys left a tub of Crisco in the bed of his truck. A raccoon chewed the plastic lid to get it open....but actually chewed through the metal can edge too. Most of the Crisco was gone by morning (with paw prints down in the can). There was blood all over the bed of his truck where the poor animal cut itself.

Racoons are relentless once they find a food source.

Mar 11, 2004
An image of a family of racoons popping in chortling "I can has cheese's burgers?" just popped into my head.

They'll get in your cage too so no sense spending the money. Just steal a shopping cart and improvise (hell you could make a trap out of it even, should a racoon get your food, well it'll be nice and fat so you're not left starving, plus you can make a hat or get started on a furry suit so you can sneak into their conventions and pig out on food while they're busy having the orgy). Or just use it to quickly hustle shit back and forth to your car and camp. Or to pickup cans/bottles.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah it's very close to the river... I have no other place to go.. This is the best spot I found oh and it's at high elevation so no worry for flood.

I just looked at trunk chests and they appear to be small...almost miniture size. The bigger ones are expensive
At thrift stores? You're a poor hobo, you can't be buying new stuff.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Yeah these racoons are freaky. I saw them climbing up the tree like koala. These are tough animals..

No there are no bears.. Mostly racoons and some cats runing around.

At thrift stores? You're a poor hobo, you can't be buying new stuff.
Oh I didn't know what thrift store is.. I don't go around shopping much
That's right I can't afford to buying anything expensive anything from junkyard will do.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Oh I didn't know what thrift store is.. I don't go around shopping much
That's right I can't afford to buying anything expensive anything from junkyard will do.
You're a grown-ass adult, poor, and don't know what a thrift store is?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Oh and I was thinking about getting a trap for the racoons or poison them in the food to kill off these animals but Jesus panicked and told me not to do that he says be merciful to them Afterall they are created by God violence is a no-no or any evil thoughts Well I don't have money to feed all these racons I can't even take care of myself In fact Jesus warned me about buying breads when I moved out here I had no idea what he meant but I get it now...those racoons

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Seconded that you should move away from the water source (you don't have to go miles from it, but get away from it some) to cut down on mosquitoes, and hang your food from a tree.

That sucks dude. Wish I could help you out. Where in the world are you located now?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Get some mosquito netting to keep the bugs out.

Also how do you plan on getting laid out there? Any hot hobo girls in the woods? Or maybe just a tree with a hole in it?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't approve of him copulating outside the holy bonds of matrimony.

Reactions: Zeze

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Thanks guys for the ideas. It appears that the gas powered mosquito repeller doesn't work well when there is breeze. I get breeze all the time here and it appears to be not cost-efficient cause you gotta buy refills.. I'm gonna go with the mosquito net for $20 on amazon

And I think I still need to get some sort of cage to store food and water in the winter.. Thinking about fitting a ice chest inside it.. Can ice chest keep food from freezing when it's cold in the winter? I need water to keep from freezing.

Last edited:
Reactions: WelshBloke