Cheez moved out to wilderness, then got free housing, & going back to Wilderness

Page 76 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well water systems are a bitch.

I have a few ideas in mind for water but yeah that will be a whole learning process. Probably do some form of slow sand filter, carbon filter and RO system. Will use rain or lake water as wells are super expensive. Once I live there full time and I find rain water is not cutting it then I will get a well drilled at that point. Winter would require to use snow and that's a bit of a manual process. You get like 1/10 the water per certain volume of snow. I had to do it for a day when my water service was out. I was totally not well setup for it though, given it's not something I ever planned to do here. :p

But that said, I too wonder where Cheez is, hope nothing bad happened.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Maybe the biggest thing to not overlook is emergency services and access. If you're out in the sticks with unpaved/unmaintaned access roads, it's probably not a big deal when you're young and healthy. But as you age, you're not gonna wanna get snowbound or in an area where an ambulance can't reach you.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Maybe the biggest thing to not overlook is emergency services and access. If you're out in the sticks with unpaved/unmaintaned access roads, it's probably not a big deal when you're young and healthy. But as you age, you're not gonna wanna get snowbound or in an area where an ambulance can't reach you.

Apparently the incidence of heart attacks is lower among people who live on higher floors of high-rise buildings. It's either because they get exercise walking up and down stairs, or because the air pollution is reduced up there. But the survival rate among those in such residences who _do_ have heart attacks is measurably lower, probably because it takes emergency services longer to reach them.
So the wilderness is not the only place where that can be a factor.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Apparently the incidence of heart attacks is lower among people who live on higher floors of high-rise buildings. It's either because they get exercise walking up and down stairs, or because the air pollution is reduced up there. But the survival rate among those in such residences who _do_ have heart attacks is measurably lower, probably because it takes emergency services longer to reach them.
So the wilderness is not the only place where that can be a factor.

Even people in a 2ed or 3rd-floor walkup will show this benefit so it HAS to be from schlepping up/down the stairs I would think no? (2ed/3rd floor wouldn't make much difference at all for air-quality)

Reactions: pmv

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Even people in a 2ed or 3rd-floor walkup will show this benefit so it HAS to be from schlepping up/down the stairs I would think no? (2ed/3rd floor wouldn't make much difference at all for air-quality)
Maybe stress from noise might play a factor as well?

Frosk1s

Banned
Dec 25, 2022
Is Pokemon Go still a thing? Put some juicy bonus on (inside) his shack, then leaves clues to it on some big gamer's forums.
There are still many players of Pokemon Go; only one sub has almost a million users. I frequently run into new gamers because I live in a city of a respectable size (via lures and gyms). And after realizing how active this sub is, I actually downloaded the game again!

Finding a sub, discord server, or Facebook group dedicated to your city or town and contacting them are the only ways to play with others.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
B39dVGbCYAENJRI.jpg

;)

(I was hoping for a cheezy x'mas greeting!)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

You know I never met a single fat person when I was in Switzerland. I also imagine that they don't even know what heart attacks are.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Lots of people spend many a winter days in their sheds on the ice fishing. Most of the small and medium lakes in IL, WI, MN and MI and some of the bays of the great lakes freeze over every winter and are cluttered with hundreds to thousands of ice shanties.

Sheds are great shelters to get out of the wind, and with some insulation and a heat source, can be quite cozy and warm even if it gets a bit chilly out.

Good luck to yah Cheeze.

Frosk1s

Banned
Dec 25, 2022
Lots of people spend many a winter days in their sheds on the ice fishing. Most of the small and medium lakes in IL, WI, MN and MI and some of the bays of the great lakes freeze over every winter and are cluttered with hundreds to thousands of ice shanties.

Sheds are great shelters to get out of the wind, and with some insulation and a heat source, can be quite cozy and warm even if it gets a bit chilly out.

Good luck to yah Cheeze.

Invest in a shed if you have a vacant plot of land. It does a better job of shielding the bike from inclement weather, thieves, and other harm. Steel sheds for self-assembly cost about £500. Extra space should be left for a sturdy base or floor, as well as a ground anchor.

Run an extension lead over for wanton amenities like a light, battery tender, possibly a small heater or dehumidifier if it is close enough to the house. After that, you can leave the bike with your outerwear to dry. Sincerity be told, a small bit of dry workspace is extremely helpful while changing the chain in February.

One account per member.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Wine and fine chocolate are the secret to good health and long life!

I was more referring to the fact that they all live in the alps and "walking down the street to get a baguette" means climbing a minimum 45 degree grade, all the time. It's like living in San Francisco, only more.

They're doing cardio all the time.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Invest in a shed if you have a vacant plot of land. It does a better job of shielding the bike from inclement weather, thieves, and other harm. Steel sheds for self-assembly cost about £500. Extra space should be left for a sturdy base or floor, as well as a ground anchor.

Run an extension lead over for wanton amenities like a light, battery tender, possibly a small heater or dehumidifier if it is close enough to the house. After that, you can leave the bike with your outerwear to dry. Sincerity be told, a small bit of dry workspace is extremely helpful while changing the chain in February.

One account per member.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director
Busted!!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
which I will be doing once the stimulus checks start rolling in...
😁

Seems that he still believes in incoming stimulus checks. LOL.

(He probably would qualify for disability.)