Check out this screen shot. So realistic!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
A mod for skyrim did this over a year before Far Cry 3 did. It added a real starmap with all the constellations and such.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
A mod for skyrim did this over a year before Far Cry 3 did. It added a real starmap with all the constellations and such.
Screenshot?

A mod? For Skyrim or an earlier version of The Elder Scrolls?

It was FC2 BTW and the sky is "stock" not added in by a mod.

FC2 came out in 2008 while Skyrim came out in 2011.

FC3 isn't realistic at all in any way. The colors are borked and look like a cartoon, the HUD takes away from the immersion, etc. FC2 fan here, FC3 not so much.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
FC2 came out in 2008 while Skyrim came out in 2011.

I'm pretty sure you can find a similar mod for Oblivion, then. I think the point is, of all things to optimize having the stars in the right place when the "night" lasts for 30 minutes or something seems like wasted effort (IMO, of course) - and I still stand by the statement that they're not showing enough stars. As I remember, the only cities in the game are little shanty towns with nothing really in them - certainly not 50 gas stations with 50 lights on each :)

Just driving a few miles south of Port Angeles up on to Mt Angeles (just north of Mt Olympus, such that Port Angeles and Sequim are still in view) and you suddenly could see SO much more - the milky way started to show very well.

Pottuvoi

Apr 16, 2012
Theres full star maps which you can import to your programs, so it is not hard to have correct night sky for any date.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Crysis does the same thing. Unreal 2 uses Hubble images for their backgrounds of space.
I'm sure other games use real star maps as it's probably easier to use existing material than create your own.