Check mailed to wrong address was cashed!!! What to do?

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
My grandmother sent me some money, unfortunately she sent it to an address I lived at last year. Whoever lives there now cashed the check. Is there anything I can do to track this down?

Did you get the cancelled check or a copy of it with your bank statement? If not, call your bank. They'll have it on file.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
The check wasn't written by me, but my grandmother did get the statement from the bank showing it was cashed. I'm assuming that if she got the actual signed check it would just have my name forged on the endorsement side.

Ly2n

Dec 26, 2001
The person that cashed it forged your signature. Get a copy of the check (both sides) and than contact the person that lives at your old address. Ask them who the person that signed you check is, then offer them a chance to repay you the money. If they have a problem with that idea, then call the police and press charges. While you could go to the police first, I would give them a chance to make good on it first.

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Ly2n
The person that cashed it forged your signature. Get a copy of the check (both sides) and than contact the person that lives at your old address. Ask them who the person that signed you check is, then offer them a chance to repay you the money. If they have a problem with that idea, then call the police and press charges. While you could go to the police first, I would give them a chance to make good on it first.

^

I agree with that. Who does this guy think he is, thinking he can get away with fraud :frown:

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
Get a copy of the check, the bank should have asked for ID before cashing it.. It's their responsibility! Take it up with the bank and I would also file a police report. I wouldn't even bother asking the person who forged it about anything unless they are family/friends.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
This is fraud. They committed fraud against the bank and your grandmother. They are in deep sh*t. I would get the cancelled check from the bank and go directly to the police. The bank will give you your money since this is fraud.

topgun55

Banned
Oct 15, 2002
... and make sure Grannie has your correct address.
rolleye.gif

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
I want to know what's going on when you confront the guy that lives in your old address and what the outcome will be.... keep us posted :p

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I want to know why Grandma is sending you money. ;) Mine stopped putting $5 in my B-day cards when I was about 7. :)

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Originally posted by: PipBoy
Whoever lives there now cashed the check. Is there anything I can do to track this down?

Unless this was sent via certified mail, or he cashed a stolen check using his own bank account, you are not going to be able to prove it was him.

It could have just as easily been a postal employee who cashed it at one of the places that cash checks for day laborers(i.e. no ID required).

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Check mailed to wrong address was cashed!!! What to do?

send it to the right place next time!! :p

no seriously, that's really ass... i have no idea what ya could do other than show bank statements, and prove your old address, as well as what your new address is so they can see you for sure used to live there. that sounds to me like a good plan.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: klah
Unless this was sent via certified mail, or he cashed a stolen check using his own bank account, you are not going to be able to prove it was him.

It could have just as easily been a postal employee who cashed it at one of the places that cash checks for day laborers(i.e. no ID required).

That's what I'm worried about. I have never filed a police report before. Will they actually do anything? I mean will they go to the extent of taking a handwriting sample from the person living there now and comparing it to the signature on the check? Or have I been watching too much tv? If it matters, it was for $500.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
1. File a police report.

2. File a report with the bank.

Believe it or not, the bank will go to great lengths to prosecute people who defraud them.

rayma2

Nov 12, 2001
if it was a lot of money go to the police. if it was a little go talk to the people and give them a chance then go to the police.