Cheapest IPv6-capable router?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just curious. Waiting for my friend, who is on Comcast, to get back to me. Want to help him upgrade to a Docsis 3.0 modem (SB6121). Since that modem, and Comcast, support IPv6, I also want to help him get an IPv6-capable router.

Newegg has D-Link DIR-655 refurbs for $29.99 FS right now, but they only have three eggs. Lots of complaints. I'm thinking, it might be better to spend $35 + ship on some Cisco E2500 routers, while they are still available, and flash with Tomato. As a matter of fact, I'm on IPv6 now, using an HE tunnel. Or at least, I was the other night when I went to test-ipv6.com after setting up Tomato's IPv6 Tunnel support.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Who know's what the experience level is of those writing reviews. When people ask me to help them with a problem, I always ignore what they think is the problem because 9 times out of 10 it is something else at fault.

Just fixed a laptop this weekend who's owner swore up and down about what a terrible product Norton Anti-Virus software, how all his problems began when he installed it. Turns out one of the memory sticks in the laptop was throwing errors in memtest. Replace it and suddenly Norton installs and runs perfectly fine. But in the meantime he has convinced several people that Norton is such an awful product that screwed up his laptop.

My gut says you'd be perfectly fine with the D-Link router.

Or buy the Cisco, you'll be happy with that too.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My gut says you'd be perfectly fine with the D-Link router.

There was one review, that pointed out that while the Rev A units used the Ubicom StreamEngine chip for QoS, the newer Rev B units were just using an Atheros chipset, with poorer QoS.

Edit: Does anyone know if any of the cheaper Asus routers support IPv6?

Do the TrendNet BRP-652 routers? You can get them refurb for $20 I think on TigerDirect.

https://www.ipv6ready.org/db/index....e=&pc=2&ap=&oem=&etc=&fw=&vn=TrendNet&do=1&o=
Here's the results for TrendNet, seems that their TEW-711BR router does support IPv6. It's sold out at the moment, but Newegg carries it for $16 or so.

Last edited:

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Norton is garbage. Nags the $hit out of you and slows your computer to a crawl. This is common knowledge.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Pfsense supports ipv6 I believe. I never played with it myself though (ipv6). Been wanting to setup an ipv6 lab though as it's probably something I should understand better before it becomes more mainstream.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Norton is garbage. Nags the $hit out of you and slows your computer to a crawl. This is common knowledge.

Wow, way to completely miss the point. The point was people who don't know much about computers and troubleshooting are equally capable of writing reviews as qualified, experienced techs. My example that I worked with this weekend just happened to be with Norton, I could have given any number of examples I've encountered, this was the most recent.