Cheapest cell phone voice plan?

txlonghorn

Jul 26, 2004
I need to get my kid a cell phone for when he is out with friends or staying with my ex. It is for emergency only so the only requirement is that it makes voice calls. What is the cheapest plan out there for a feature phone? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
Off the top of my head you can do page plus or platinumtel for pay-as-you go, using a verizon or tmobile feature phone, respectively.

If you want Verizon coverage, then page plus. If you want consistently cheap rates whether or not you use many minutes than go with Platinumtel. Also, texting is cheaper on ptel.

A third option which uses AT&T is airvoice, which has pay as you go as well as a $10/month plan which the talk rates are very good.

Last edited:

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
PagePlus (Verizon prepaid) has an $80/year for 2,000 minutes plan.
Also maybe 5% off if you buy the code online with coupon code (callingmart).

Otherwise one of the above options.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
One good thing about page plus is that they offer roaming capability. The last time I checked it was .29/minute, but at least its offered. I think most mvno's offer nothing of the sort.

txlonghorn

Jul 26, 2004
Tmobile has a $10 prepaid plan for 30min. Minutes last for 90 days. $3.33 a month.
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Since I am a T-Mobile customer, I like this plan. A couple of follow up questions:

1) Can I just buy a cheap feature phone off eBay and use it for the prepaid plan? after I buy a SIM card from T-Mobile?

2) On the T-Mobile prepaid plan, are calls to other T-Mobile customers still free?

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Since I am a T-Mobile customer, I like this plan. A couple of follow up questions:

1) Can I just buy a cheap feature phone off eBay and use it for the prepaid plan? after I buy a SIM card from T-Mobile?

2) On the T-Mobile prepaid plan, are calls to other T-Mobile customers still free?

As long as the phone is carrier unlocked or locked to T-Mobile, Yes.

No.