Cheapest and easiest way to degrease engine parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I was recently overhauling a 5HP Briggs and Stratton motor. I tore the engine down. The only thing I could find that would clean it well was some stuff called “Super Clean”. It’s $7.00 a gallon. Are there any easier ways to degrease. I was told the dishwasher is good, but you might ruin it and detergents are not supposed to be good on aluminium.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Super Clean is what I was going to suggest just from the title....but I was going to suggest the WalMart brand "Purple Power" as it is about half the price. I mix it either 3:1 or 2:1 parts water to Purple power in a spray bottle, depending on how greasy a mess I have. I use cheap fruit brushes and such to agitate the really grimy stuff and flush well with water. It works really well and is biodegradable.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Super Clean is what I was going to suggest just from the title....but I was going to suggest the WalMart brand "Purple Power" as it is about half the price. I mix it either 3:1 or 2:1 parts water to Purple power in a spray bottle, depending on how greasy a mess I have. I use cheap fruit brushes and such to agitate the really grimy stuff and flush well with water. It works really well and is biodegradable.

I saw purple power there with super clean. It was only 20 or 30 cents cheaper. I was thinking if there is a concoction of cheap chemicals you could mix up to make large quantaties of degreasers (5 - 10 gals). Superclean also dosen't work on engine sludge. I had a 1/4 inch thick of sludge on the bottom of the sump and super clean couldn't dissovle it.

ThatsABigOne

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
You could also soak in normal car fuel. (gasoline, diesel, and even jet fuel) You could also use the acetone.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
Kerosene is also good and gives off fewer fumes than acetone. A buddy of mine picked up a kerosene parts washer for a song and a dance at auction. You can get small parts washers for $40 on amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.