Cheap ways to back up data for a large amount of people

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
What are some of the backup solutions that people have tried here for their company?

Looking for something that can be encrypted yet cheaper than the likes Symantec's or Iron Mountain products.

elcamino74ss

Jun 6, 2005
what's the value of the data and what will it cost your business if you lose it. Start there then think about your budget

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
You can use Offline Folders to mirror employee's "My Documents" data on a server and then use BackupAssist (http://backupassist.com)) program to back up and encrypt the data stored on the server. I think that BackupAssist is around $200 now, and Offline Files are free if you have the diskspace on the server to hold the files.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
At my last company, I designed a GUI that scripted the backup of all the key files and folders to another file server. You can go an even simpler route by just adding a scheduled task to all the workstations that backs up to another file server. You can then run a single backup software or another scheduled task on the server itself that backups up that entire location to prevent it from being overwritten again on the next backup.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: SagaLore
You can go an even simpler route by just adding a scheduled task to all the workstations that backs up to another file server.
The biggest problem with all client-side backup solutions is that they need some sort of pass/fail notification. Otherwise, they can (and will) fail and nobody knows about it until the backups are needed.