Cheap Tire Options

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
While I'm sure somewhere there are trustworthy Chinese-made tires, I personally wouldn't buy or use any. Primewells are Chinese owned and manufactured tires, btw.

BadTrip

Sep 22, 2008
Yeah, I am aware of that. I thought it was a bad idea, but I hate to spend $550 on tires for less than a year of use.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Get a used set of decent tires on Craigslist for $200-300.

BadTrip

Sep 22, 2008
How great of a need are you talking about? Can you survive one more year on the bad tires?

No. I am avoiding the interstate right now because of them. I bit the bullet and just purchased some Firestone FireHawk AS for $90 per tire. I think I can trust them for the year.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Recognize that the tires which were around decades ago were nowhere near as good as they are today, and wheels where smaller diameter and width for a given vehicle size and weight, so imported_Irse's father was right about not buying cheap tires back then, but now it's largely irrelevant unless you're a reckless driver and need that last few % performance to save your bacon, which in itself is illogical because you could just as easily need a few % more performance to save your bacon no matter what tires you buy.

The main thing is to buy them, not drive around on old or bald tires. You can buy the best tires possible then after a few years, you would have been better off getting cheaper ones and replacing them more often. This relates to a common misconception that people have, where they compare their old tires to new tires and say the new tires are so much better. Sure, the old tires were so much better when they were new, too.

Sure some grip better in wet, some better in snow or cold, some wear longer or are quieter, but don't make more out of it than it is, just buy the right TYPE of tire for the application when you know you're not getting your money's worth out of them over their whole lifespan

Last edited:

BadTrip

Sep 22, 2008
Recognize that the tires which were around decades ago were nowhere near as good as they are today, and wheels where smaller diameter and width for a given vehicle size and weight, so imported_Irse's father was right about not buying cheap tires back then, but now it's largely irrelevant unless you're a reckless driver and need that last few % performance to save your bacon, which in itself is illogical because you could just as easily need a few % more performance to save your bacon no matter what tires you buy.

The main thing is to buy them, not drive around on old or bald tires. You can buy the best tires possible then after a few years, you would have been better off getting cheaper ones and replacing them more often. This relates to a common misconception that people have, where they compare their old tires to new tires and say the new tires are so much better. Sure, the old tires were so much better when they were new, too.

Sure some grip better in wet, some better in snow or cold, some wear longer or are quieter, but don't make more out of it than it is, just buy the right TYPE of tire for the application when you know you're not getting your money's worth out of them over their whole lifespan

I tend to agree with you, but the thought of super cheap Chinese tires make me nervous.

Feb 25, 2011
Good luck selling a car with bald tires. Unless you're planning on doing a lease return or trade-in.

I'm going to second the "used tire" option that jlee mentioned. Most indie shops can find some for you, or you can go to a scrapyard yourself.

Heck, if two of your current four have more tread left than the other two, just put them on the rear wheels, and buy two "new" used tires on the fronts. (Jetta is FWD, right?)

Depending on how much you drive, and assuming you don't drive very aggressively, you might not even need to rotate them before you get rid of the car.

Do be careful in weather, though.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
No. I am avoiding the interstate right now because of them. I bit the bullet and just purchased some Firestone FireHawk AS for $90 per tire. I think I can trust them for the year.

I think these that you purchased are a vast step up from the Primewells. I put a set of Firehawks on an '02 Blazer we owned, the Indy 500 variant of the tire. Was quite pleased with them, considering price. They certainly weren't Contis or Michelins, but were quite good, considering. Had them on the Blazer for 2 years (about 40K miles) until she died at 249K miles. Its death was sad. No complaints about those tires, whatsoever.

BadTrip

Sep 22, 2008
I think they will suffice. I usually buy only Goodyear or Michelin, but this car was only a stop gap after financially devastating divorce and cancer diagnosis. Finances have bounced back and with cancer defeated it is almost time to trade back up to a BMW.

Reactions: Capt Caveman

BadTrip

Sep 22, 2008
I had the Firestone tires installed this morning. They ride a little rougher than my previous Goodyears, but overall I am very pleased with them .

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Good used name brand tires can be had at almost any salvage yard for about half or less what new tires cost.

Generally there's enough buyers for cheap/used tires that the market is efficient. IOW you're going to get what you pay for. IMO they're mostly suitable for replacing an existing damaged used tire instead of replacing all 4.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Generally there's enough buyers for cheap/used tires that the market is efficient. IOW you're going to get what you pay for. IMO they're mostly suitable for replacing an existing damaged used tire instead of replacing all 4.
This. The chances of getting a matched set of four tires with similar wear is very slim (it happens - people get new cars, hate the tires, and have new ones installed and the tire shop sells the takeoffs to used tire dealers).

As mentioned before, you should be able to get a set of name brand tires that are inexpensive. They may not be better than the generic Chinese tires you listed (most tires are made in China anyway), but at least you have a name standing behind them. When I got the tires on my old Accord changed, I bought some cheap Cooper tires - I think they were around $60 each or so. They were fine - there was no high performance driving in the 4 years and 20K miles we had them (before a deer took her from me), and there was no drama in the bad weather.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Agreed. Although I found out after buying Pirellis they are now Chinese owned and the particular tires I bought were made in Mexico. All of the Bridgestone and Yokohama tires I've bought were made in Japan. But those tended to be the higher dollar models.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Country of origin isn't really a good indicator of quality anymore in the modern world. For example the Doublecoin factory in shanghai is arguably the most advanced truck tire maker in the world which is probably for the best given their products are used on school buses in the US.

Recently I got a set of the cheapest tires available at Discount Tire for a beater, some store brand eco special apparently made by Kuhmo, and they work fine when I had occasion to blast down some backroads. Hardly Michelins for feel esp at the limit, but still capable of gripping harder than pretty much anyone would ever drive on public roads.

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
My first thought was cheap tires would have been just fine for a year. But spot checked prices (Discount Tire) and a name brand was less than $200 more total. I think you could make that up when it comes time to sell or at least make it easier to sell. Good tires make a buyer feel good.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
My first thought was cheap tires would have been just fine for a year. But spot checked prices (Discount Tire) and a name brand was less than $200 more total. I think you could make that up when it comes time to sell or at least make it easier to sell. Good tires make a buyer feel good.

Less than $200 more total?

205/55R16 aren't particularly expensive, you can get 4 for about $210 total at Walmart (plus 4 x $12 mounting & balancing).

Last edited: