Cheap managed switch (with at least 1x10Gbit port and 5x Gbit port), no router with per port bandwidth settings..

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
Hello,
there is lots of guessing and urban legends about this, so im asking only for some info from personal experience with exact some models.. and want to hear some general info.

I just need some switch, which like unmanaged, where i only can set per port download and upload bandwidtg to divide overall internet connection speed between multiple clients.. equally, without possibility that one would steal speed / bandwidth from other..

If someone would be able to not only recommend exactly proven model, but also share some step by step guide how to set it.. it would be great, i want to learn as possible about this.

Feb 25, 2011
I think this might not work as well in practice as you're like - when applied to the switch, the rate limiting will apply to local LAN traffic as well. So if you evenly split a 20up/100down WAN connection across four ports (5/25), and then need to copy files from a computer off of port A to a computer off of port B, it will be limited to 5Mbps for a local LAN copy, which is pretty atrocious.

Also, the rate limit in the manual mxnerd linked doesn't say anything about total number of packets, etc., so it would likely still be possible for a single system to overwhelm your router with simultaneous external connections (commonly an issue with BitTorrent clients and lower-end routers.)

You can do this, but it's kind of crude and IMO you'd be much better off enabling QoS on both your router and the switch so that certain types of traffic are prioritized over others, and letting the algorithms do the heavy lifting.

Reactions: mxnerd

abufrejoval

Jun 24, 2017
Hello,
there is lots of guessing and urban legends about this, so im asking only for some info from personal experience with exact some models.. and want to hear some general info.

I just need some switch, which like unmanaged, where i only can set per port download and upload bandwidtg to divide overall internet connection speed between multiple clients.. equally, without possibility that one would steal speed / bandwidth from other..

If someone would be able to not only recommend exactly proven model, but also share some step by step guide how to set it.. it would be great, i want to learn as possible about this.

The place to manage that isn't the switch, but the router/firewall appliance.

The most economical switches are layer 2: They have no idea about IP or the Internet.
Sure you can get smart ones, but you basically pay those brains extra for every port, when you only have one Internet you want to manage: Put the money where you want the job done, right at the (single) gateway.

You may be susceptible to urban legends and guessing, but only if you don't invest where it's needed: Knowledge about networks.

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
I dont care is box is named switch or router, but really only need to balance bandwith between different clients, its not family stuff, but for different flats, where i need to guarantee speed per client so only QoS is not enough for sure.