Question Cheap low profile GPU upgrade recommendations

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Hi all,

Need some advice. I am helping an elderly neighbor who is trying her best to work from home. Her computer just died and I am going to help. I already sourced an HP ProDesk G1. It's got an i7 and 16 gb of ram.

Here is the problem: She is working with photoshop. I don't think the HD4600 integrated graphics are going to be up to the task. I am looking for the best possible GPU that will do DX12 and cost around $50.- I think this case will only accept a low profile card. I don't mind using ebay so used parts are fine too.

A 1030 would probably be the best option but I was hoping to keep this charity build below $300.- Yes, I should have bought a full size case computer. That would have made the GPU search ALOT easier. Sigh....

I just don't know the hierarchy on some of these cards and know nothing about quadro cards.

Can you help?

MdM

Reactions: Leeea

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I think you can get the 2GB version of the GT 1030's for under $100 new, from Amazon.

I've been running one in an SFF for awhile now and it does pretty alright, might be a 4GB model though I don't remember which one I bought.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
I don't think something lesser than 1030 would be worth the upgrade over HD4600 with dual channel memory. And it's hard to look for other SKU than 1030 as it's harder to get new (not used / refurbished) Low Profile GPU in your budget.