Cheap DDR3 ECC solution ?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I need to fill up an asus Z9PA-D8 with some RAM, I am not looking for that 2% edge for the fastest solution possible, I am thinking of some cheap HP 4GB modules (1333mhz).. I got 8 slots to fill, well actually 7 cause I got one 4GB running right now. That would give me 32gigs total, that should do it.
For a budget server, what RAM would you fill it up with?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
id also go on ebay...
most likely if it will work in dells and super micro, it should work on that asus board.

Personally id look for either hynix or samsung branded chips, ecc reg modules.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Thanks, I went with the local pusher(some 6 hours ago) and got some 6 cheap HPE (HP-Enterprise) 8GB sticks .. I can always return em if it doesnt work out ... and right now its rocking two dimms, one pr. CPU for a total 16GB .. created and installed the first VM on the ESXi half and hour ago ... All systems are go so far. Yay. :)
(I just gotta find a few more 8G sticks, those were the last 6 he had) for total 64G's

Thanks guys.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
8 gb sticks are where the most value will come in.

16gb would be prefered if you decided to keep the system long term, however they still tend to be a bit pricey.

Feb 25, 2011
Thanks, I went with the local pusher(some 6 hours ago) and got some 6 cheap HPE (HP-Enterprise) 8GB sticks .. I can always return em if it doesnt work out ... and right now its rocking two dimms, one pr. CPU for a total 16GB .. created and installed the first VM on the ESXi half and hour ago ... All systems are go so far. Yay. :)
(I just gotta find a few more 8G sticks, those were the last 6 he had) for total 64G's

Thanks guys.
I strongly recommend you get matching modules.

Feb 25, 2011
Damn... for all 8? I actually googled that up and down and found that if I matched the same channel then that should be good... Not so?
No, you're right - technically, as long as you match up the channels, you should be ok, but I'm the suspicious sort, and have seen weird behavior from server ram that wasn't juuuuuust right.

Double check the manual - sometimes they recommend putting DIMMs in a certain order if they vary a little bit in capacity or speed.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
No, you're right - technically, as long as you match up the channels, you should be ok, but I'm the suspicious sort, and have seen weird behavior from server ram that wasn't juuuuuust right.

Double check the manual - sometimes they recommend putting DIMMs in a certain order if they vary a little bit in capacity or speed.
Oh its very perculiar in the way it wants its dimms installed.. its like a maze.. For example I cant run the 6 dimms, only 4 and it has to be specific channels at that.. So need 2 dimms more to get all channels rocking :). (this according to spec, manual).