Cheap Android tablet

papaschtroumpf

Mar 5, 2003
My son is looking for an Android tablet, his budget is around $100.
He want to use it as an ebook reader, browse the web, watch you tube and light gaming (theing candy crush or the like).

Any suggestions? I'd rather avoid the mandatory ad versions of the Amazon tablets.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I'm interested myself in hearing answers to this, as I was just in the market for a tablet for someone. I couldn't find a thing worth buying, except for the Fire HD10. Best choice I could have made. (I know, OP would rather avoid the ads, but I'd personally rather avoid the pitfalls of so many other Android tablets: poor quality/lo-res screens, outdated OS versions, just about everything from China, wretched build quality, and probably most common: CRAP batteries that WILL die on you sooner rather than later.)

Right now -just sayin' the Fire HD10 32GB is $109 (for Prime members) and there's NOTHING even remotely comes close at that price point. Not for my money. The screen is just beautiful- everything else I looked at in the same price area paled in comparison.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6RPGKG/

I'm not for certain, but I think the models 'without special offers' are without the ads. The person I bought it for doesn't care about the lock screen ads. So even at $124 for the 32GB to be rid of ads- still a steal in my book. It's worth it at the normal $149 price.

(But I will say it's dirt simple to put the Play Store and alternate Launcher on the Fire tablets without rooting or messing too much with them, and with those additions, IMO it bests virtually everything else. There's not even an Amazon account on the one I got for someone.)

Pop a nice big SD card in that and it's at least as good a tablet as other name brand models that cost 3x as much. Importantly, the battery isn't known to be a POS that won't keep a charge 4 months from now like a lot of the "wow! What a deal!" cheap-o Chinese tablets. (Just read user reviews of just about anyone that's had one for any length of time.) Possibly there are exceptions, I'd sure like to know which exact ones.

Will be interesting to see if anyone has a suggestion better than a Fire HD10 for $109 but honestly at this point, I'm of the mind I could threaten to EAT it if it exists and not have too many worries about having to do so.

Last edited:

teejee

Jul 4, 2013
Lenovo makes pretty good budget tablets. Spec wise they are not special, but quality is good. I have two different cheap Lenovo tablets that has been abused by my kids for a year (3 and 5 year old kids).

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
https://computers.woot.com/offers/samsung-galaxy-tab-e-lite-7-8gb-tablet?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_6_11

Samsung SM-T113 Galaxy Tab E Lite 7.0 Tablet, 7" Touchscreen, Android 4.4 KitKat,

8GB Internal Storage, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - Black

Battery Life: Up to 9 hours Internet Use; 8 hours Video Play Time; 71 hours Music
Memory: Internal: 1GB RAM, 8GB ROM
External: MicroSD; Up to 32GB (card not included)
CPU: 1.3GHz Quad-Core
Display: 7” WSVGA TFT (1024×600); 169ppi

$69.99

And pick up a 32gb microsd card if you intend to load it on aps as you can save apps on SD.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
What vintage is that Samsung? Android 4.4...

Screen res is meh...

I own a couple of Lenovo tablets myself but I find at the $100 price point they cheap out on screen quality/resolution.

teejee

Jul 4, 2013
What vintage is that Samsung? Android 4.4...

Screen res is meh...

I own a couple of Lenovo tablets myself but I find at the $100 price point they cheap out on screen quality/resolution.

I agree on Lenovo displays, but they are good enough for kids in my opinion. I had a cheap Acer tablet before with better display, but quality in general was bad.

Last edited:

papaschtroumpf

Mar 5, 2003
kid=teenager in my case, but he wants to use it as an e-reader, so display can't be too horrible (I used to have a cheap Chinese tablet that made test look "fuzzy")

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
oh well, the sale on Fire 10's is over. That was an incredible deal. A nicer screen for a similar price... good luck.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
i use the amazon 7" ($25 on black friday) wife has the 10"

you can put google store on it and remove the ads
there is how to on youtube

papaschtroumpf

Mar 5, 2003
oh well, the sale on Fire 10's is over. That was an incredible deal. A nicer screen for a similar price... good luck.
yeah was $149 when I checked last night.
There was a refurb for $119

I need to check how you remove ads

Edit: I see it again for $109, probably going to pull the trigger

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I use the Galaxy Tab A, 7". Perfect for reading and browsing, and I expect it can handle games that don't demand a lot of resources.. I paid about $120 for it, and I'm satisfied. Had an Amazon device for about a day, and sent it back.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I busted my Nexus 7 2013 last year. That tablet still was usable. I do suggest that.

I do like the Asus transformer series because the attachable keyboard has a battery inside it as well. But it is cheap build quality just like Nexus 7.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Amazon Fire HD tablets are pretty much the only choice. The hardware is really good and heavily subsidized by Amazon's services and ads. My GF has the Fire HD 8 that I bought for her last year for Christmas, I think it was $50.

No Android tablet even comes close to the value of the Fire HDs. Maybe Lenovo, but they lack in the software department if that's important to you. I have a nice tablet I paid a little over $200 for but it has gotten exactly one update in almost 3 years.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I heard the Amazon tablets are pure garbage, and filled with bloatware and propware.
Galaxy Tab S2 FTW

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I heard the Amazon tablets are pure garbage, and filled with bloatware and propware.
Galaxy Tab S2 FTW

I have a 2017 Fire HD8 tablet and it runs out of RAM very fast. As soon as it does it begins to crawl and only a reboot gets some speed back. Clearly 1.5GB of RAM on the 8" is subpar, not even sure if the 2GB on the 10" would be much better.

Removing the ads was simple, kept them for a year then just got rid of them out of the blue.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have several android tablets and they all suck. My tab 2 back in the day was so slow it was useless, the Asus hd 7 was not hd, the tab pro 8.4 never received support and slowed down although it had a damn nice screen and my current galaxy tab s3 is so slow for what it is made with and the cost.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Galaxy Tab S2 is lightning fast
Works perfectly.
Stop playing fortnight on your tablet

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
If I can't be had for "around $100" not sure why tout it in this thread.