Charlie Brown, you dirty racist, you.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So; "I had no problem with it, so nobody else did either"? State sponsored indoctrination in Christianity funded by every tax payer; hey not a big deal, don't be a snowflake eh? Except to all the atheists, Muslims, jews, Hindus, Buddhists. But who cares? Just because you didn't bother to look doesn't mean that plenty of people didn't have a problem with this, and have been fighting for decades to end this nonsense! I don't know much about Canada, but in the US it's a constant struggle, and my native Norway someone had to sue the state to the human rights commission to stop Christian indoctrination of children in schools! But no big deal, you we're cool with it..

Educational is provincial district so it varies per province. In Ontario Catholic has rights to a separate school system. So in Ontario there are four types of publicly funded schools. English Public, English Catholic, French Public, French Catholic.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Had ours too a couple weeks back. Didn't

There's this thing called the internet that lets you know information about other countries. It has social media, news, etc. There's also this thing called TV. unfortunately our TV is bombarded with American news, because ours is too boring and not controversial enough I guess so we get quite exposed to American news. I know enough to know that I would not want to go or live there. It's like a war zone, physically and politically.
I also know what life is like for you and other Canadians because I read the internet.

Reactions: Perknose

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
The Canadian Constitution grants a position of privilege to Christianity, specifically related to education, allowing government support of Christianity in schools. The U.S. Constitution specifically disallows the use of government in support of religion.
That is not true.

Schools are a Provincial matter. In Ontario we have a Public School system and a Separate (Catholic) School system. This is part of the Provincial constitution. Religion is not taught in Public Schools except as a course study in comparative religions.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
That is not true.

Schools are a Provincial matter. In Ontario we have a Public School system and a Separate (Catholic) School system. This is part of the Provincial constitution. Religion is not taught in Public Schools except as a course study in comparative religions.
Who pays for the Catholic schools?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Who pays for the Catholic schools?

People who indicate they support catholic school on their tax return. Funding is driven by formula based mostly on student count. This is Ontario model, I don't know about other jurisdictions.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
So; "I had no problem with it, so nobody else did either"? State sponsored indoctrination in Christianity funded by every tax payer; hey not a big deal, don't be a snowflake eh? Except to all the atheists, Muslims, jews, Hindus, Buddhists. But who cares? Just because you didn't bother to look doesn't mean that plenty of people didn't have a problem with this, and have been fighting for decades to end this nonsense! I don't know much about Canada, but in the US it's a constant struggle, and my native Norway someone had to sue the state to the human rights commission to stop Christian indoctrination of children in schools! But no big deal, you were cool with it..

Britain doesn't really go in for separation of church and state. On the contrary, church and state have been symbiotically entwined for centuries. It's one area where I'd be happy for us to be more like the US.

It's curious though how that co-exists with a culture that, for almost as long, hasn't had much interest in religion. Religion, Christianity anyway, has a lot of institutional power yet lacks all confidence in using it. Whereas in the US it's almost the reverse.

I'd be tempted to say it's cause-and-effect, that an establishment church necessarily becomes mild and indolent, while a non-state one gets more active and demanding...except that Ireland seems a counter-example - historically the church had both a lot of political power _and_ was also very active and part of everyday life.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Britain doesn't really go in for separation of church and state. On the contrary, church and state have been symbiotically entwined for centuries. It's one area where I'd be happy for us to be more like the US.

It's curious though how that co-exists with a culture that, for almost as long, hasn't had much interest in religion. Religion, Christianity anyway, has a lot of institutional power yet lacks all confidence in using it. Whereas in the US it's almost the reverse.

I'd be tempted to say it's cause-and-effect, that an establishment church necessarily becomes mild and indolent, while a non-state one gets more active and demanding...except that Ireland seems a counter-example - historically the church had both a lot of political power _and_ was also very active and part of everyday life.
Well, in large part the US was settled by people who were too religiously extreme for Europe in the 1500s.. That must have been a pretty special group.

Also, I've heard it theorized that having to "compete" makes churches in the US more active, and aggressive. I'm sure it's a combination of lots of factors. Within the US the differences in religiosity are huge too.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
There's a real irony in conservatives using A Charlie Brown Christmas as an example of their fake liberal war on Christmas.