charging canon powershot via usb?

skisteven1

Jul 15, 2003
I just made the plunge for a new SD850 IS, and I was wondering.... The included battery charger is nice and all, but it would be really fantastic if I could charge it through the included mini-usb cable. Then, when I travel, the only power adapter I would need is for my computer and I could use that to charge my camera, phone, BT headset, etc etc.

Some brief (ok, so I spent 5 minutes on it) searching does not reveal anything. Anybody have any idea?

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Originally posted by: skisteven1
I just made the plunge for a new SD850 IS, and I was wondering.... The included battery charger is nice and all, but it would be really fantastic if I could charge it through the included mini-usb cable. Then, when I travel, the only power adapter I would need is for my computer and I could use that to charge my camera, phone, BT headset, etc etc.

Some brief (ok, so I spent 5 minutes on it) searching does not reveal anything. Anybody have any idea?

what is the charger model number?

skisteven1

Jul 15, 2003
don't have it in front of me, but I'm interested in plugging the CAMERA into the computer and using the CAMERA to charge the battery... shouldn't involve the charger at all.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
If it's not explicitly stated that the camera can charge batteries, it doesn't charge batteries. Charging batteries would require special circuitry installed in the camera just for that purpose.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Fuzzy is right - the mini-USB port on the camera links to the camera's data circuitry and media. It does not connect to the batteries, because most cameras do not have built-in battery chargers. And, the USB link only provides 5 VDC at about 400 ma.

The best thing is to have a couple of sets of spare batteries so you can have them charged and ready to go.

In summary, . . . the short, succinct answer to your question is "No!."

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I was thinking of if the output of the charger could be duplicated by using the USB port...
For an external hdd i have it running off of a firewire port for the power and it plugs into the usb for the data
So yes its possible, but you need to know some thing about electrical work
post if your still interested

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The smallest charger I have has an input of 12 VDC at .5 amps. USB cannot come close to that. The main problem is that there is no charging port on most cameras. Batteries must be removed to charge.

You not only need to know something about electrical work, you need to rebuild the camera in most cases. But, basically, USB just does not have the power to do that.

dantethemad

Jun 19, 2011
I know this is a dead thread, however this thread pops up in the top few searches for usb charging this particular camera. I want to jump in and make a correction so others aren't confused.

The mod is correct, in that camera doesn't have the ability to charge via usb. I find that most don't, but that doesn't mean you cant pull it out and charge it via usb.

This is where the confusion seems to be;

USB does put out more than enough power to charge the battery. I'm not sure what sort of chargers the mod is talking about, but the 12v would be the input to the charging circuit itself, the output itself would be much lower, most likely 4.2v. This is actually why usb makes a great charging option, as they start out at a lower voltage, meaning the charging circuit doesn't have to step things down much to charge a little 3.7v battery.

I have a pocket pc, a smart phone, a high powered burning laser, and a random assortment of other gadgets that all operate on 3.7v li-ion batteries. All of which charge via usb, and all of these items' batteries have at least double the mAh that my cannon powershot battery uses.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
to charge a 3.7 ion battery you need 5v. if you try to charge it at 4.2v (say you used a diode on the usb power) the battery will take weeks to charge. you really need 5v.

if you dont want to take your camera apart and do virtually impossible soldering, then you just have to live with the fact that you have to pull out the battery to charge it.

that said, i would get a universal external charger. that way you just have one charger that can charge any 3.7 li-ion battery you have. http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mob...QU/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1308519355&sr=8-14

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011
When I was buying cameras for two of my children I went with the Coolpix S4000, and this was one consideration. The S4000 recharges with the battery in the camera, and can charge from a USB port or a regular power plug. Plus it has a touchscreen that has a coolness factor for the kids. Really great camera, bought factory refurbishd from Adorama for around $80 (half off). A ton of neat features. I have always been satisfied with the coolpix line of cameras. I still shoot my 2002 Coolpix 995 w/ IPIX.

http://www.adorama.com/INKCPS4000RR.html

JR

Last edited: