changing up my htpc

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I've been using an AMD htpc with a phenom II x4 processor and 4 GB of ram for a few years. It just sits on a shelf, a bit oversized, and does nothing but serve up kodi and plex and allows me to watch 3d movies with powerdvd. I just put a R7 260x card in the box as well which, well, consumes yet more power.

I decided to go another low power route, basically because I wanted something else to play with. I ordered an Intel NUC NUC5CPYH and plan on booting off an SD card and using a 2 TB external drive to store my files on. I know kodi and plex will work, but haven't checked yet to see if there is a program out there that will allow me to watch 3d content with the openelec distro. Looks like it might be possible in kodi now with the appropriate naming convention.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't know about the 3d question, but you may want to clarify if you're asking about playing a disc, or playing a 3d rip.

If you want Plex and Kodi on the same box, you should consider a more complete linux distro so you can install the unofficial Plex client. Kodibuntu will work. Openelec will not.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
3drips only. Thought I read there was a plex server for openelec. Might be stuck with kodibunto.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
PleXBMC will let Kodi use the plex back end. You can do this very easily with openelec. and you can have it up and running in 5-30 minutes.

If you want the plex front end, you would need a more complete linux, like kodibuntu. I've used the "unofficial" linux front end and it works well. This will take more time to configure.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
got the nuc in Sunday. Can't find my stick of ddr3l ram, so I have another stick on the way, will be here today or tomorrow. Can't wait to mess around with this machine. I stuck a 500 GB 2.5 inch drive in it and am going to hook up an external 2 TB drive that has plenty of room for my music, videos, and photos.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
The 500 GB drive has S.M.A.R.T. issues so I pitched it and found a 64 GB ssd I forgot I had. I loaded ubuntu on the NUC last night and its working well so far. I just need to figure out the external drive permission issue, but I'm able to watch movies and they look great. I followed this guide: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

I would recommend installing Ubuntu server, and then sshing into the box to run the commands. I couldn't figure out why my install wouldn't work until I realized I had a couple typos. Ssh in and copy and paste everything into vi will reduce a lot of headaches.

adamantine.me

Oct 30, 2015
www.adamantine.me
I don't know about the 3d question, but you may want to clarify if you're asking about playing a disc, or playing a 3d rip.

If you want Plex and Kodi on the same box, you should consider a more complete linux distro so you can install the unofficial Plex client. Kodibuntu will work. Openelec will not.

How is Kodibuntu? I've been considering messing around with it. Right now I'm just using Emby but the metadata isn't being added and the organization is awful.