Changing my insurance carrier.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I'm frustrated with my current provider. All I want to do is keep track of my account online and sign up for EFT. But their site is useless and they keep on billing me via snail mail.

So who is carrying the best rates for a single guy with a car payment and mortgage in north carolina? I want to be able to manage it online.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I have Geico. 1993 Prelude. 21 years old. Got my license the day I turned 16. Clean record, no points whatsoever.

Insurance from GEICO:
Coverages Limits / Deductibles
Bodily Injury Liability $15,000/$30,000 $101.40
Property Damage Liability $5,000 $109.90

I didn't for anything else, just what is required by California law. That is a 6 month premium.

I can manage everything online as well.

I also never had insurance before this.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I switched to progressive. My family friend runs a small insurance company here, so she actually did it.

Due to some snafu with a very old traffic ticket my former insurance company decided it was time to part ways.
So I got in with progressive. Their quote was $50/6mo cheaper than my former insurer who I had been with for over 10 years.
The funny thing about progressive was that the cost to pay it monthly for 6 months was about $175 more expensive than to pay it in one shot.

Geico was a pain in the ass to get a quote from. Their claims rep couldn't give me an accurate quote for some reason and kept bullshitting me, so I said the hell with it.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
progressive is cheapest for us. Haven't had to use them for anything yet.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
I gotta say Geico...I had AllState, and then one day they cancelled me because my father has money problems, and my Dad and I have the same name (I'm Jr., and have a different SSN, but they didn't care about that). So I switched to Geico (like in 1999) and have never gone with anyone else. Every time I come up for renewal I shop around, but Geico always ends up being the cheapest...and usually by a lot!

THeir website is easy to use and anytime I've had to contact them personally they've been very helpful...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You'll either have to do the leg-work to get some quotes yourself of have an independant insurance agent do it for you ... depending on your circumstances one company may be a lot cheaper then another for no readily apparent reason & its the only way to find out for sure.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
I use Progressive as well. EFT was setup when I acquired the insurance and have never had to worry about it. They just send me a new card every six months and that's the only correspondence I have to deal with. $282 6/mo

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Progressive ended up being cheaper than Geico for me. I got the cheap roadside assistance and had to use it twice in 6 months with no hassles. My sister got hit by someone insured with Progressive and was impressed by how she was promptly taken care of.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
I use Progressive as well. EFT was setup when I acquired the insurance and have never had to worry about it. They just send me a new card every six months and that's the only correspondence I have to deal with. $282 6/mo

That's a good deal, liability or full coverage (with comp & collision)?

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal

That's a good deal, liability or full coverage (with comp & collision)?

You know Ross, I'm not entirely sure. I would have to check my insurance statement. I know it's liability but I did add a few extras on there just in case. I have an older vehicle so I see no sense in having "Full" coverage since they'll only give me the blue book instead of how much money I've put into this beast. I did check with other insurance companies, State Farm, Geico, Allstate (Whom I was with before), etc and none of them even came close to Progressive.