Question changing my case

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
Hi.So I have been struggling to reduce the temps of my GPU by undervolting,increasing fan speeds and all that stuff but it doesn't seem to work.I have even started to wonder if AMD's voltage settings even do anything.Anyway,I have come to the conclusion that I might have to change my case if I want my GPU to stop reaching 85C in ridiculous games(if you need an example,I played the dekstop version of genshin impact,an originally mobile game,and my GPU went as far as 83C in 30 mins before I closed the game to avoid an auto restart of the PC.Now I don't want to spend too much on the case because I believe that my components can be cooled well by a budget case if it is picked right.So far I have come across a bunch of cases,but I can't find any convincing budget case reviews,so I'm asking here.
specs:
CPU: i5-6500 (cold as ice btw)
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB(gts black xxx edition etc)
MB: GIGABYTE Z270-HD3P
RAM:8GB dual-channel etc
PSU:750W,honestly no idea about the brand but doesn't matter here
So I would prefer the budget to stay around 50-60 euros,but you can go as far as 100 ONLY if you must.If I had an rtx 3090 and the latest AMD ryzen,I would pay more for my case,but I don't.
I would also like the case to be a decent combination of design and airflow if possible.
so far, among many other cases,those have appealed to me quite a bit,but idk anything about their airflow:Thermaltake V250,Aerocool cylon,stuff like this.The thermaltake one seems particularly appealing because it also comes with decent fans,but is the airflow anything better than my current case?
Right now I have some segotep case which only has openings in the back and some random opening on the side where I have no fan,so yeah it's pretty much a toaster.Don't get me wrong,I don't want my GPU to be 60C,but not 83C either.Something like 75 max temp is all I could ever wish for,so that I can stop lowering settings and max FPS in order to avoid burning my GPU.

TL;DR:My current case is a toaster,and my GPU blows up if I try to run any game with decent graphics(83-85C temps).I want a 50-60 euro case that can stop that.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Have you checked out the Phanteks P400A? Geizhals price comparison linked below, can select some more localised comparisons on the top left of the site.

Reactions: Campy

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
Have you checked out the Phanteks P400A? Geizhals price comparison linked below, can select some more localised comparisons on the top left of the site.

will consider that too.
what about the cases I mentioned

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Both the Thermaltake V250 & Aerocool Cylon have solid front panels which restrict airflow quite severely, with temps being a main concern you should look at Airflow cases like the Corsair 4000D Airflow, Phanteks P400A, Lian Li Lancool II Mesh, Fractal Design Meshify C.

This Gamers Nexus 4000D review should help you see the different cases temperatures at stock fan configuration: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3624-corsair-4000d-airflow-case-review-vs-solid-panel

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
Both the Thermaltake V250 & Aerocool Cylon have solid front panels which restrict airflow quite severely, with temps being a main concern you should look at Airflow cases like the Corsair 4000D Airflow, Phanteks P400A, Lian Li Lancool II Mesh, Fractal Design Meshify C.

This Gamers Nexus 4000D review should help you see the different cases temperatures at stock fan configuration: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3624-corsair-4000d-airflow-case-review-vs-solid-panel
Okay,you convinced me. Screw front panel RGB. But I would still like a case with pre installed fans tho. Which one would you recommend?

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Okay,you convinced me. Screw front panel RGB. But I would still like a case with pre installed fans tho. Which one would you recommend?

I myself am waiting on delivery of a Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh RGB (upgrade from 11 year old Lian Li PC-A70S for airflow reasons) which cost £79.99 from overclockers.co.uk but both the Phanteks P400A (above) and the Pure Base 500DX were in my top 5 (all 3 highly recommended by Gamers Nexus) but the cable management "cheat panels" on the Lian Li sealed it for me. That case is prohibitively expensive in the EU it seems so either the Phanteks P400A or the 500DX linked below would both be solid choices for under €100. Basically choose by looks & fan size between the 2.

500DX comes with 1x 140mm Front & 1x 140mm Rear.
P400A comes with 1x 120mm Frone & 1x 120mm Rear.

For any extra fans you might want to look up EZDIY-FAB on Amazon, they do reasonably priced RGB fan packs (with controller+remote).

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
I myself am waiting on delivery of a Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh RGB (upgrade from 11 year old Lian Li PC-A70S for airflow reasons) which cost £79.99 from overclockers.co.uk but both the Phanteks P400A (above) and the Pure Base 500DX were in my top 5 (all 3 highly recommended by Gamers Nexus) but the cable management "cheat panels" on the Lian Li sealed it for me. That case is prohibitively expensive in the EU it seems so either the Phanteks P400A or the 500DX linked below would both be solid choices for under €100. Basically choose by looks & fan size between the 2.

500DX comes with 1x 140mm Front & 1x 140mm Rear.
P400A comes with 1x 120mm Frone & 1x 120mm Rear.

For any extra fans you might want to look up EZDIY-FAB on Amazon, they do reasonably priced RGB fan packs (with controller+remote).
do you think I will need extra fans other than those two in order to keep my rx580 away from 80C?

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
The Cooler Master NR600 is a good case, could use better/more fans (personal preference there) but will keep your CPU & GPU cooler even at stock configuration.

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
The Cooler Master NR600 is a good case, could use better/more fans (personal preference there) but will keep your CPU & GPU cooler even at stock configuration.
hmm yeah it even seems like it has too good airflow for what my rx580 needs, so I might wanna look for a case that looks a little better at the cost of a few degrees
edit:corsair 220T seems interesting,fractal design focus G also

Last edited:

Bobsy

Jan 5, 2010
do you think I will need extra fans other than those two in order to keep my rx580 away from 80C?
That case actually comes with three Pure Wings 2 140mm fans (stock locations: 1x front, 1x top, 1x rear). You will not need any extra fan. Hardware Canucks tested various fan configurations for this case and determined that the ideal configuration was to reposition the top fan as a front fan. If you make sure the lower fan blows air below the GPU, you will be fine. If that's not enough, remove the front dust filter.