Changing Hyper-Threading, HDCP and "pairing" with SiliconDust HDHR'

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Here's the background of an issue that arose back in 2012, when I was configuring my sig-rig to feed my AVR and HDTV with cable-TV fed by my HD HomeRun Prime (with cable-Card from the cable/internet provider):

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=37396687#post37396687

By the time I'm finished with all this, there should be a link in THAT thread to return to this one.

Just after I built this rig and connected a second vid-port to my AVR, I discovered that changing the Hyper-Threading configuration in BIOS would result on a borked Media Center configuration per HDCP and encrypted channels.

If the Media Center and HDHR' were configured, activated, "verified" etc. with HT enabled on my computer, disabling HT would result with Media center throwing up a "cannot display protected content" and total inability to access my cable/HDHR' channel-lineup. When this happened back then, my experience with the HDHR' was "young." In any case, I didn't want to fiddle with it anymore. I wanted the HDHR' and cableCard to work with Media Center, and I had to get rid of other issues without dealing with this discovery.

If you read the "CPUs and OC'ing" thread, you can understand why I visited this again. My sig-rig and another 2700K system are both configured to use tuners among two, perfectly-configured HDHR'-s on my network. At will and whim, I can connect the second system to my AVR-HDTV rig, using a different port on the AVR or TV easily switched with my remotes. No problem; already proved it all works beautifully.

But the same problem emerged once I started Media Center with the start-menu option "Play Live TV." That is, I'd disabled Hyper-Threading.

Since the Silly-Dust tuners -- both of them -- have been properly activated (more perfectly than the first one had been 3+ years ago) -- I'm wondering if :

a) This is only a problem that requires running a complete TV setup again with Media Center;

or

b) I will have to actually call the cable company to re-activate my cable-card (or cards) and go through the same telephone misery I've completely avoided now for good part of six months (since I learned how the cable company hadn't properly entered data at their end to properly set up my second tuner -- and therefore the first one. Got that fixed, and didn't they find out, too?!)

Which is it? Is this only a matter of re-running "Digital Cable Advisor?" Because -- if I have to go through hoops again with my cable-provider, it just won't be practical to fiddle with HyperThreading or the lack thereof.

See -- I can go ahead and fiddle with this; maybe -- since I can add any other computer in the house to HDHR' usage -- it is only a problem with (a). But if it's (b), then I can kiss off changing the HT setting on either of these machines -- without going through all that trouble again.

Sep 12, 2004
Cable cards are paired with their devices; in your case the HDHR. The computers they are associated with have no bearing on cc pairing.

Changing the number of cores probably throws up a red flag to Media Center (most likely PlayReady).

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Cable cards are paired with their devices; in your case the HDHR. The computers they are associated with have no bearing on cc pairing.

Changing the number of cores probably throws up a red flag to Media Center (most likely PlayReady).

That's reassuring. It would mean I'd only need to cycle through MC's setups for those features.

I think I'd visited this same confusion before, in conjunction with the cable-provider's incorrect or incomplete activation of the two cablecards. I shouldn't be so "confused."

And it only makes sense: whenever I had given another PC access to an HDHR' tuner, I obviously had to go through the MC setup procedures and there wasn't any problem.

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
I ran into this back when I found an HP X4 athlon system in the trash, and thought "this CPU will make a nice upgrade for the dual core in my HTPC". That was a wonderful way to kill all of my protected content.

At the time, the issue was relatively undocumented, and I tried repairing and several other things to no avail. I ended up reformatting windows and setting everything up again with the 4 core chip.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
hoorah --

And thanks for THAT reminder, because I'd been through it before.

Luckily, I allocated the newest of my two HDHR'-'s exclusively to the machine pending the HT configuration change, and made all my DVR captures through the other one on the machine that won't change.

So there aren't any movies or DVR captures to lose. . . . IF . . . indeed . . . that's what actually happens.

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
If you change the hyper threading setting (or even the CPU), then you have to re-install PLAYREADY. Do note that you wont' be able to watch OLD recordings though, but you'll be able to watch newly recorded ones (recorded after the Play Ready reset).

Follow the link below - it'll show you how to reset PLAY READY properly. Had the same problem when I installed a 2600K on my HTPC (running Windows 8.1 Media Center - HD Home Run Prime)

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3760

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'd been through that before, but not arising from the HT changeover. I even think I got the "advice" from the same link.

Thanks -- I won't have to look it up again.