Changing Desktop Background Grinds computer to a halt.

Jman13

Apr 9, 2001
I've noticed an odd problem with my computer (in my sig). Everything runs smoothly...games all programs, even huge memory hogs, etc. There's only one thing that doesn't work right: when I go to change the desktop background, when I hit the 'desktop' tab to choose a picture, it will grind my hard drives for a solid 2 minutes before displaying the choices. All my drives are defragged, doesn't matter if it's a fresh reboot or not, and no other things do this. OS is WinXP Home

Any ideas?

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Do you by any chance have a large number of pictures in your "my pictures" folder?

It appears that windows scans that folder to compile a list of pictures to select from in the background dialog box.

Jman13

Apr 9, 2001
No, not really. I have practically no photos in my My Pictures folder, and about 60 in my Wallpaper folder. If the machine can't handle 65 pictures, yet can handle the 24,000 (I'm a photographer) in my Lightroom collection just fine, something's odd.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: DnetMHZ
Do you by any chance have a large number of pictures in your "my pictures" folder?

It appears that windows scans that folder to compile a list of pictures to select from in the background dialog box.
XP didn't use to do that on my computer, but within the past couple of months it did add all my photos to my background list. Any way of turning that "feature" off?