Changed resolution - blank screen (tried all conventional fixes)

liquidsense

Aug 23, 2006
I just finished building my first computer a couple hours ago. A Shuttle G31 barebones with a Q9550 quad core hooked up via DVI to a monitor.

1) Case (barebone) - Shuttle SG31G2S BLACK
2) PCU - Intel Core 2 QUad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 12MB Cache, 95W
3) HDD - Western Digital BLACK WD6401AALS 640 GB, 7200 RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA 3.0Gb/s
4) Memory - G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GB (2 x 2GB)
5) Networking - ASUS WL-138G V2 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Adapter
6) DVD - Samsung 22x DVD+-R DVD Burner SATA BLACK

Everything was great. I installed everything without a hitch. All drivers are installed, and updates installed to Vista 32-bit. I started fiddling with the display properties - I put the resolution one notch higher than the current and the screen went blank. I thought it would revert back after 20 seconds or so, but it restarted instead. But then it just went to a black screen again, even though the computer was on.

I tried the following:

1) Starting in safe mode. The desktop appears, and I manually change the resolution to something very low then restart. But I just get a blank screen again.

2) Went into the BIOS and reset to optimized defaults, then continue. Still does not work.

3) I hit F8 again, and selected "last known good config." That didn't work.

4) I hit F8 again, and selected "enable low-resolution video (640 x 480). I get to the password prompt, and input my password. But to my utter frustration, it simply restarts and brings me back to the BIOS splash page, and then goes to the black screen. I could press F8 again and hit "enable low res" again, but then it just restarts again.

5) I plugged the system to my HD tv by way of a DVI-->HDMI cable. It loaded up just fine. I was able to play around with the display settings and bring the resolution way down. Then I brought my monitor over, plug it in --> BLACK SCREEN!

Edit) I also tried using just a plain VGA cable to my monitor. No dice.

I don't know what to do. I've been at this for hours, and I'm at a complete loss. Can anyone please help me. I am so frustrated.

Edit 2: I really have no idea. Sometimes, I get flashes of the desktop, but then the computer restarts. The problem is never consistent. Sometimes I get the password prompt, sometimes I do. And as stated, if I get the password in there, sometimes I see a flash of the desktop.

It always works when connected to the TV.

Edit 3: I'm clean installing with XP Pro. I don't know what else to do. Because this is my first build, and I have very limited knowledge about all this, I fear that maybe it's a hardware problem that I cannot diagnose. (Also finding that certain USB ports are not working).

Edit 4: Don't know WTF is going on, but everything is f***ed. Towards the end of the XP install, my system just keeps restarting, and wanting to repeat the install. I give up.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Sounds like more than one problem.

You may have fried the monitor.

Bad ram is often a culprit in failed os installs. Run memtest (free download).

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Run a memory test with memtest86+ and run your hdd manuf diagnostic utility. You dont mention your power supply either, this could be a possible issue if it isnt delivering the proper amount of power or if said power isnt stable.

liquidsense

Aug 23, 2006
Will do. I'm loading a SP2 slipstreamed XP pro to see if that will make a difference. I don't know what is going on, but it has taken 2 hrs to format the disc - still going.

Anyway, when I had previously loaded Vista, I had run a benchmark test on the HDD. I am a true noob when it comes to this stuff, so I don't know if the benchmark results have any bearing on whether the HDD is functioning properly as would the diagnostics test you are referring to.

The benchmark results were exactly in line with other results that others posted online. Approximately 55 MB/sec minimum transfer rate; 115 MB/sec max; 90 MB/sec average; 15 ms access time; and 100 MB/sec burst rate.

ALSO: when the HDD came from Newegg, it had fallen out of the bubble wrap and was just rattling around in the cardboard box - though amongst a bunch of packing peanuts.

At any rate, when if I can successfully load XP, I'll run those test and report back. Thank you so much for the help.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
If you did a full format it will take a while, might be faster to stop it and run a quick format so the media test isnt performed.

Athena

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2001
Until you posted other troubles, I was going to suggest that your problem might be in the video driver. Your original problem was very similar to what happened to me last month with one of the Vista updates. I solved it by rolling back the update and downloading the driver directly from the manufacturer's site. I haven't had any problems since.

liquidsense

Aug 23, 2006
Athena - interesting take. I think we must have shared a similar problem, because after installing XP, I'm realizing that it wasn't a problem with the parts, but likely a problem I was having with Vista.

So, in the end, I installed XP Pro. Everything seems to be working as it should (bar some issues with USB and wireless). Here are my stats:

1) Memtest86+ v. 2.11. 15 passes, no errors, passed.

2) HDD Diagnostics Utility. Passed Extended Test.

3) HDD Benchmark via HD Tune. Minimum 58MB/sec; Maximum 119MB/sec; Average 95 MB/sec; Access Time 11.9 ms.

I am still having some very strange issues with USB ports. My Logitech mouse either sometimes does not work at all, or will stop working intermittently. I plug it into another USB port, and the problem persists. I noticed this on Vista too. Right now, as I drag the mouse slowly to the right and left, it hangs and snags for a fraction of a second every 10 seconds or so. Strange. Is there a program that can run diagnostic tests on USB ports?

Edit: I tested it further. I have a 1-4 USB 2.0 splitter which I hooked up to one USB port on the back of the Shuttle, and none of the lights lit up on the splitter. I then moved the splitter to a different USB port, and all lights lit up, and all the components that I hooked up to the splitter have been working flawlessly. This is a fine work-around, but does anyone know why this is happening? Should I do a complete USB driver renewal? (See http://forums.techguy.org/3435808-post2.html)

I am also still having spottiness with my ASUS wireless card. Sometimes, I'll fire up my system, and it refuses to connect, even though I'm getting full bars. I've disabled any ASUS software, and am using strictly the Windows interface for wireless. But I still cannot get a consistent connection. Typically, however, when I do connect, I'm on until I shut down. I wonder if it has anything to do with my Macbook Pro -- I'll do more testing, but I think connection success has something to do with if my Airport is on on the Macbook.