Changed a case: no post

tphss

Aug 27, 2004
Hi all,

I bought a new case and transfered all the parts to the new one, now sinse it's a smaller case, the new one, it was a VERY tight installation, I think I might have broken something.

The computer lights up, no poist on screen no signal, I have RAM modules from Corsair with the LED's on top, and they DON'T light up!

I think I might have cracked something in the motherboard or the CPU.

Any ideas?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Remove the motherboard and stuff from the case. Lay the motherboard on a sheet of cardboard. Connect just the essential items: the CPU and heatsink of course, the video card, and the RAM. No keyboard, no mouse, no drives, no extra cards. Make sure the video card is firmly seated to the bottom of its slot. Make sure you have all the motherboard's power cables hooked up (ATX main, ATX12V, and EZ-Plug if it uses one). Now try starting it up on cardboard like that. Any good?

bjp999

Nov 2, 2006
To run the computer outside the case, you can carefully short the two pins (with a screwdriver) that you would normally connect the power switch to, you can turn the power on without the switch. Just for a second, once its on its on.

Check your power supply connection. Make sure that none of the little wires have come lose from the back of the connector. If you've switched power supplies, try using the old one.

Not sure why you think you broke something, but unless you dropped the MB or raked a screwdriver HARD across it, or actually found little pieces of MB broken off, I would doubt it. They are pretty hardy. Breaking the CPU is even harder, unless you tried to run too much power through it (which is very hard to do by accident).

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

tphss

Aug 27, 2004
I don't know,

I did what you said, I tried to run the MOBO outside on cardboard. with only MOBO-CPU-RAM-Video.
I have 2 motherboards, exactly the same ones, (MSI Neo2 Plat 939) so the one I was using in my old case, does light up and transfer power, but no post and no beeps.
Then I tried the other one I have, and this one didn't work AT ALL, and now: The PSU is friend as well!
The PSU now (170$ OCZ PSU :( ) doesn't turn on! I don't know what to do... I didn't hear anything, no smell, no explosion... I don't understand this.

I'll tell you what I thiknk I broke something:

1) The standoffs in the new case are very low quality so they strip at the end of screwing them and then the Motherboard was STUCK! So I had to strugle a little.
2) The new case is VERY tight for all the parts I have, 3 HD's, 2 CD, a friggin huge Thermalright XP-90 for the CPU, X800XT AIW and 2 PCI cards. when I installed first of all because of the Motherboard layout, I couldn't slide the 5.25 bracket back into place with the RAM installed, and I couldn't pull the RAM out cause the Heatsink is so big it covers 3 slots out of 4! I had to uninstall everything.
3) The connections layout on the Motherboard was bad as well for this case, and the IDE sits really close to the ATX12V so when I installed IDE cables to the 2 CD drives, the cables pushed pretty hard against the CPU heatsink!
4) Since I had to install the CD drives BEFORE the motherboard, I then had to slide the motherboard and flex it a little in order to slide into place- might have cracked soemthing, but then: why doesn't the other motherboard I have work?
5) Another problem, the power cable for the video card when connected is also VERY tight with the cables of one of the hard drives.

I don't know. I'm ordering a smaller heatsink, and a Micro ATX mobo (Asus A8V-MX), I hope that will somehow help. I'm also getting a new PSU with the option to disconnect unneeded power cables (OCZ Modstream).

Any suggestions will be very appriciated and helpfull :(

bjp999

Nov 2, 2006
I've had PSUs short out or something, and not work for up to an hour, and then start working again. I think it is some kind of protection circuit. Try it again. You should not run a PSU without any load (at least the MB, but the high powered ones want a couple drives too). Otherwise they give problems.

If you have 2 identical MBs and one works and the other doesn't, I think you know the MB is bad. It may be under warranty. Consider getting a new case if the one you have is that cramped.