Chance to buy 240sx MINT Condition

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
My old high school teacher is the only owner of a 1992 Red 240SX SE, (no HICAS). 5sp, and only 111k miles. She retired a few years back and wants to get a used Lexus SC430 (more power to her fits her well)

She originally offered it to me in high school and I'm glad I turned it down because it was a stick shift. I only wanted an automatic back in the day (road head)

So anyways I was jogging by the neighborhood and I talked to her, she was going to sell it for $3000, it blue books for $2300, but I think I can either drive this and keep it mint, or sell it on ebay for 8000ish

What should I do AT garage?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If you think it's legitimately worth in excess of double what she's thinking of charging IMO you owe it to her to advise her of its true value.

If it were a total stranger advertising on Craigslist I'd say go for it but if it's someone you know it's the decent thing to do.

Viper GTS

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Drive and keep mint. It is a rare car nowadays and someone should be keeping it clean.
I'd love to have one of those.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
If you think it's legitimately worth in excess of double what she's thinking of charging IMO you owe it to her to advise her of its true value.

If it were a total stranger advertising on Craigslist I'd say go for it but if it's someone you know it's the decent thing to do.

Viper GTS

:thumbsup: Agreed.

One of the customer's of my local mechanic had a 240 in for some work and my mechanic said the kid paid $5k for it and it was trashed. And I mean really thrashed.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
With everyone else on that front. Even if you plan on flipping it after you buy it, you really should give her a ballpark value. Specially if you guys are on decent enough terms that she actually offered it to you while you were still her student.

Just tell her "You know I would love to buy it at that price but I just thought I would give you the heads up that with a little bit of effort you might be able to get two to three times the amount from someone else". That way your lining up that you only really want it at that cost. That she would need to more work into it then grabbing a random jogger, but that she has a choice.

Still a decent chance that she sells it to you for that price and she will love you even more for giving her the heads up.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
My old high school teacher is the only owner of a 1992 Red 240SX SE, (no HICAS). 5sp, and only 111k miles. She retired a few years back and wants to get a used Lexus SC430 (more power to her fits her well)

She originally offered it to me in high school and I'm glad I turned it down because it was a stick shift. I only wanted an automatic back in the day (road head)

So anyways I was jogging by the neighborhood and I talked to her, she was going to sell it for $3000, it blue books for $2300, but I think I can either drive this and keep it mint, or sell it on ebay for 8000ish

I would be straight with her. If she wants to sell it to you for a discounted price, cool. Don't be a douche and buy a car from an acquaintance just to flip it on CL...

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004

flip it and tell her u gave it to a family member. problem solved

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
So many generous people in here. Seems everybody on the internet are good honest people... Funny cause it seems so many people IRL are complete douche bags. Fighting over nickels and dimes, blowing through red lights, stealing from their jobs, etc. Even the "super" nice women at my work have this scheme where the last one to punch out punches them all out. You would never suspect these women of this kind of slimy behavior yet on the internet I'm sure they rant and rave about how shitty people are.

If it were me I would make extra cash when I can. Maybe hint to her that you think you are getting a really good deal but that is all I feel you are obligated to do. Her selling it to you is the easy way, it would be more effort for her to list it for sale and deal with lots of potential shady would be buyers.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
How much would a VQ Swap in this cost? I'm probably gonna keep it stock and just replace the wear and tear items like bushings, lines, etc... probably add an MP3 player and new speakers but keep all the stock stuff

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
How much would a VQ Swap in this cost? I'm probably gonna keep it stock and just replace the wear and tear items like bushings, lines, etc... probably add an MP3 player and new speakers but keep all the stock stuff

NICE !!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to see it man! VQ swap is cool but pricy. You are 3/4 of the way to LS swap if you go VQ.

Cost wise the cheapest swap is a rb20. Second would be the SR20. I may have a turbo mani, turbo, and oil pan for a KA somewhere in my S chassis parts. Let me look tomorrow.

Bring it by soon so we can take some pictures near my two S13s.

Congrats man! Ive been telling you to get a 240 for some time!!

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
Thing is the lady is going on vacation so I gotta grab it this weekend before she puts it up for sale. I move next week, this thing is sitting in storage if I can get it worked out.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I have a 1990 240sx (5sp) as well. Probably will try and get rid of it too. Me and the wife have 4 cars including this one and we won't be needing this.
Good to know that there still is demand for these.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I'd get it if you can, and drive it until something major happens, then maybe do a swap. Selling a car that old really is a huge hassle locally, seems every jackass comes out of the woodwork to ask bewildering questions, like will you owner finance and crap like that.

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
Drive it and keep it mint! It will be a fun car to drive and the more preserved 240's, the better. Is it a hatch or coupe? Sunroof or hardtop?

I have a 97' that I <3. 90's Japanese sports cars are special cars. I would lower it a bit, throw some nice flush-fitting wheels on it, and call it a day.

Also, the 2.4L iron block motor that is in it takes boost very well and kits can be bought or assembled for around $1200. With a built motor you could be looking at 400whp/400tq with very little turbo lag.

Last edited:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
So many generous people in here. Seems everybody on the internet are good honest people... Funny cause it seems so many people IRL are complete douche bags. Fighting over nickels and dimes, blowing through red lights, stealing from their jobs, etc. Even the "super" nice women at my work have this scheme where the last one to punch out punches them all out. You would never suspect these women of this kind of slimy behavior yet on the internet I'm sure they rant and rave about how shitty people are.

If it were me I would make extra cash when I can. Maybe hint to her that you think you are getting a really good deal but that is all I feel you are obligated to do. Her selling it to you is the easy way, it would be more effort for her to list it for sale and deal with lots of potential shady would be buyers.

The first time I have heard that the internet is full of nice people. I thought it was the other way around.

I recommended telling her, not as some good samaritan . That wouldn't be smart. If I was the guy in question and it was some random car with a for sale sign on it than I would buy it and flip it without giving it a second thought.

It is another thing when your talking about someone you have a decent relationship with. He mentioned that she offered to sell it to him while she was his teacher. I don't know about the rest of you but most teachers aren't that randomly engaging to students. So to me that meant that they got along and talked a lot and she didn't mind taking the possible hassle of what would happen if the car had troubles after he bought it while still her student. Between dealing with him or a possible parent wouldn't be worth the hassle. Shows a level of trust between the two. Besides the fact that teachers work an undervalued profession and she was obviously a decent one being able to work to retirement and being on friendly terms with at least the OP.

I don't screw over friends, family, or people I generally like. In all likelihood she would still probably sell it at that price. So why be underhanded about it.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
We "clicked" back in high school because we were both food snobs and complained about restaurants and praised the ones we liked.

English was my best subject actually and I didn't mind doing homework assignments, showed up to class on time, not a distraction, etc.

I'd see her in town from time to time and just say hi, my dad is also a teacher and he engages in conversations with current/former students. He's attended funerals and weddings of the students as well. I come from a town of 50,000 and there were only two high schools. I guess it's semi small town mentality.

But anyways back to DORIFTOOOOO

It's red, the wing on the back is slightly faded, and is the hatchback model with grey cloth.

She's on vacation till June 6th so I'll keep you up date in the next few weeks. I got the cash flo ready to be plucked from the bank on a moments notice.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Why is this car such a classic? Light and RWD? Google image search shows a bunch of cars that seem to be taken over by mexicans.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
Drifting scene, it was the only lightweight RWD coupe sold in the states until this FRS/BRZ came out. It was overpriced in the mid 90's Nissan was going bankrupt and they never brought the one with the good turbo motor with it.

It was called the Nissan Silvia outside the states.

The car isn't known for a quality interior, gauges breaking, dashes cracking, who knows what else can go wrong. The brakes are subpar but again, but this is the 90's where you had Preludes/Integras/Civics/Eclipses/3000GT/heavy 300ZX/ticking time bomb RX-7/pricey Supras/insert other sport compact, and then you have the 240sx

I had a chance to really see the 240 needs alot of money put into it to really compete at the autocross. I drove an E36 M3 that basically just had bushing upgrades and then a 1995 240SX close to stock and the biggest thing I noticed was how loose it felt and the brakes sucked.

I'm buying this car for nostalgia, rarity, and for conversation piece. It's not a great car and I know this going in. lol

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
They are tuner cars. They were never supposed to be that good stock... what you get is a good platform. Now, 240's aren't usually competitive in autocross, but that is just due to classing restrictions. An S14 recently won a big time attack in the U.S., and I've seen modified ones running Tsukuba in the 57 second range, which is modified Z06 territory.

They were also built before all the crash safety regulations ruined everything, so they are relatively sleek.

Case in point, S14s:

6hsrjl.jpg

2z6e59t.jpg

3449u1w.jpg

23r32te.jpg

apgyeg.jpg

2yjx1k8.jpg

2jtcvn.jpg

The S13 you're looking at it probably a hatch, but I don't have any good pics of those. Here's a nice S13 coupe:

5nu25i.jpg

96ep01.jpg

Finally, here's a Youtube video of a 700whp 240SX walking a C6 Z06 w/ bolt ons (not saying the 240 is a faster car... Z06s obviously have more performance potential):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgHPPKHW8T4

Same car vs. a Cobra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7DDblmDfWs

IMG_0413.jpg

Rice?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I don't think you can get $8000 for it. It's a good mechanic's car because you can do a million things with it. You have to decide if it's your thing.

If you want a car that starts every day, gets you from A to B, and goes fast on the highways once in a while- NO.

If you want a car that you can tinker on in the garage, show off to your tuner friends, and have fun with- YES.

Not my first choice for a daily driver, but it depends on what you want to do with it. They're pretty common so don't expect to make money on it.