Chance Of CPU Damage

namx01

Nov 27, 2012
Do you think that any damage would occur if a 6700 were put in a Z370 socket motherboard? I read of someone doing this and all they said was that it would not post. I would think that there would be some kind of safeguards to prevent damaging the processor but was not sure. And no, it wasn't me :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Depends on how "stupid-proof" Intel decided to make their newer 1151v2 socket. I would't be surprised if it fried something, though. (what I AM surprised about, is that the mechanical notches are the same. That seems a bit... cheap... of Intel, not to change the mechanical mating specifications of the newer socket, if it were truely electrically incompatible.)

So, possibly, if it does't fry the mobo VRMs or CPU, then perhaps it really was just a vast marketing conspiracy by Intel to sell new chipsets and motherboards, and they could have easily supported prior-gen CPUs (at the least) on Z370 boards, and/or supported Coffee Lake CPUs on Z170/270 boards.

What I will say is, I fried a nice 440BX-chipset-based rig, playing with a less-than-compatible slotket and a Tualatin Celeron, and some socket-mod wires.

Also, the original 3.3V Pentium 75/100 could have been plugged into their sockets backwards. (Been there, done that.). That action, when powered-up, WOULD FRY the CPU.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Depends on how "stupid-proof" Intel decided to make their newer 1151v2 socket. I would't be surprised if it fried something, though. (what I AM surprised about, is that the mechanical notches are the same. That seems a bit... cheap... of Intel, not to change the mechanical mating specifications of the newer socket, if it were truely electrically incompatible.)
Intel couldn't change Coffee Lake due to AMD or even really speed up production much. But Intel could, and did, rush out the Z370 chipset probably due to AMD. It isn't "stupid-proofing", or an intent to be cheap (although it was a cheapskate move), or a marketing conspiracy. It was quite simply a rush to market of an unfinished chipset. Coffee Lake was in production and about ready to launch. But the 300 series chipsets were months away.

The pinout is almost identical but it looks like some reserved pins were changed to ground and power pins. So I think that Skylake chip might be electrically okay, although it won't boot in a Coffee Lake motherboard. I wouldn't recommend trying, but I can't see right away from this blurry image that it would fry itself.
https://overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/why_coffee_lake_cannot_work_on_z270/2

Last edited: