[challenge] Highest power density possible for gaming

miahallen

Oct 8, 2002
I believe I've created the most powerful gaming rig ever considering the size.....this build is less than 11 liters in volume but packs mega power for gaming.

Silverstone SUGO SG05
Silverstone ST450SF 450W SFX PSU
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
Intel Core i5 750 @ 4.2GHz
Corsair H70 CPU cooler
G.Skill PIS DDR3-2000 6-9-6-24 1T
eVGA 480 GTX @ 800/1000
80GB Intel X25M for OS
500GB Seagate Momentus XT for games/media

I'm almost at 21K in 3DMark Vantage Performance score.....and it'll run all my games with maxed settings like a hot knife through butter :D

I'd be curious to know how many people could match even 1/2 my power density (there are plenty of laptops which could do it)....
I'm calculating the results by dividing my 3DMark Vantage Performance score (20856) by the volume of my case in liters (10.78L).
That makes my power density 1934p/L

If anyone would like to play, please post a screenshot with your 3DMark Vantage score, and a photo of your rig clearly showing the size (as shown below).

If enough people show interest, I'll maintain a leaderboard here in the OP ;)

3DMarkVmax.png

max11L75.jpg

max11L77.jpg

max11L84.jpg

max11L90.jpg

Last edited:

miahallen

Oct 8, 2002
I bought an extra set that I leave at the remote gaming site with some of the money I saved NOT buying an Alienware :D

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I bought an extra set that I leave at the remote gaming site with some of the money I saved NOT buying an Alienware :D

not even $1000 buys you the oen of the most powerful gaming computers in that form factor until you get to the Sony Z series.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
I bought an extra set that I leave at the remote gaming site with some of the money I saved NOT buying an Alienware

Awesome comeback :D

I don't know about the 480 yet. I think it's $500 price tag is ridiculous for something that's going to be just as slow in 2 years as the 460/470/5850/5870.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
So you doubled the volume of those peripherals.
And this is supposed to compare to a gaming laptop how?

Even if you counted the space the screen takes up, I bet the gaming laptop's volume is still so low that it would win in performance/volume. It's kinda unfair to compare laptop components with desktop components, but OP's challenge apparently didn't initially exclude laptops...

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Even if you counted the space the screen takes up, I bet the gaming laptop's volume is still so low that it would win in performance/volume.

With a 17" chassis, it's actually pretty close. The Alienware is 5.5L. But again, it has a screen, keyboard, and trackpad.

But that is an actual gaming setup, unlike OP's. He's running 500 watts of components off a 450W PSU, and with PSU inefficiencies he's looking at 600W of heat output in that case.
That's not a gaming rig, it's a science experiment testing $900 worth of components to destruction.

miahallen

Oct 8, 2002
But that is an actual gaming setup, unlike OP's. He's running 500 watts of components off a 450W PSU, and with PSU inefficiencies he's looking at 600W of heat output in that case.
That's not a gaming rig, it's a science experiment testing $900 worth of components to destruction.

No, it's a gaming rig (and the components' value is closer to $1600 ;)).....and I've been gaming on it for weeks without problems.

If I had built it to play Furmark with postproccessing, then I'd have to agree with you.
While performing the FurMark testing, I was nearing the limits with 520W drawn at the wall......

But, I didn't build it for stress testing, I built it for gaming :p

power_use.png

That was taken from the performance review I wrote about the rig...

from the review said:
So the very worst case scenario (game test) for me, with the quad core CPU installed, was Batman maxing at 397W AC. Multiply by 0.85 to estimate the actual system power consumption and you’d find it was only 338W, more than 100W less than this power supply’s rating.

You can read the full review here if you like ;)

crucibelle

Feb 21, 2005
www.facebook.com
miahallen - That is awesome! I'd much rather have a small system like the one you built than a laptop. Much more fun to be able to actually build something rather than just buy pre-made, IMO.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Sizing the a PSU for anything less than the sum of the TDP's is a bad move IMHO. Just because no current game comes close to Furmark, doesn't meant that no game with ever reach that level.

miahallen

Oct 8, 2002
Well....until that day come [rolleyes] I'm enjoying the power this system does have :D

BTW - I could care less about TDP ratings....I'm running my i5 750 at 4GHz and 1.4V now which means it's actual TDP far exceeds Intel's 95W figure ;)

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Your second sentence contradicts your first. You're already probably running the PSU out of spec, so have fun!

Also, note that I said that the PSU should not be any less than the sum of the TDP's.