Question CES 2019 - The beginning of the end for gsync?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pj-

May 5, 2015
On Jensen's stream a few minutes ago he spent 10 minutes talking around the fact that they are going to start supporting some freesync monitors at the driver level next week as "gsync compatible".

He made a point of saying that only 12 of the 400 they tested so far met their requirements. Not sure if it will be an "at your own risk" thing, or if it will only be supported for the specific models that pass their testing.

Edit: Apparently it can be enabled on any freesync monitor.
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/01/06/g-sync-displays-ces/

Last edited:
Reactions: Krteq

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
it's true you're right, sometimes the tests have no meaning but the initial test with Doom is something else and I do not agree with you it is not laughable absolutely
it remains my opinion and each one his opinion
best regards bro

Well, think of it like reviewing a sports car, but only testing 0-30mph. It IS useful, if you only play Doom, at those settings. But if Anandtech reviewed a new GPU, say Navi, and the only test was Doom, we'd probably laugh at it.

It was chosen because it presents a case use where there is no reason to pay extra for a pricey Gsync display (or for that matter, the higher scale Freesync displays).

The Freesync display selected has an effective range of 48-100hz with LFC. It does pretty poorly at sub 50hz scenarios (eg; dips with AAA titles). The Gysnc display selected has a range of 30-100hz, and it will do so perfectly unless you hit the 20s, which will bring stutter and duped frames. Below 30hz is pretty terrible though.

Again, the test is EXTREMELY narrow. Thus it is useful if a buyer is expecting to always be in the effective range for the optimal performance, but will not get the same results should they be pushing AAA titles at the 3440x1440 ultra settings in many cases with common Freesync GPUs in use (RX470 through Vega64 and now Vega 7).

They also enabled Vsync on the 1080+Gysnc test, which adds lag, a crippling and worse than needless choice obviously intended to further present the best possible situation for this test to favor Freesync+AMD.

Overall it was a bizarre and limited scenario that was dictated by AMD marketing, instead of a wider unbiased analysis. I would trust an Nvidia-dictated comparison equally, which is zero.

To see what I mean about having Vsync turned on, check out this test, which also has some interesting info on how Freesync on Nvidia is still not exactly as good as Freesync on AMD, though that implementation may improve with time.

ran into trouble linking from mobile, look up battle(non)sense test listing unexpected results.

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
And the NIXEUS VUE 24 I've seen meets all of these criteria, and yet still is somehow not "certified." Everyone who is disagreeing with me on this is missing the point. Subjective "we think its good enough" criteria is a lot of garbage. It must be objective, or its just a nonsense marketing program (pay to play) with no real value to consumers.

It's just cover to save face for having dumped on FreeSync monitors in the past when plenty of them work just fine, as they tried so hard to market against.
Nvidia just dismissed out of hand, monitors that don't have a wide enough VRR range, no testing there. Looking at their list, it seems they're going about it alphabetically and just haven't got to N names yet. Peter from Nixeus over at OCN already cornfirmed that their monitors work as flawlessly with gysnc. Nvidia themselves know the certification is a load of garbage and thats why the option to enable gsync regardless is there in the drivers.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I used the nVidia pendullum demo yesterday(it shows you in real time how freesync/gsync work in comparison to vsync and nothing at all)

So with everything OFF, yes, I noticed screen tearing, but I don't get why it annoys people so much. Is it definitely something one is better without? Absolutely. But to pay $600 to smooth out some tearing? If you have the money to burn, god bless!

Then I compared G-Sync/Freesync(My monitor has freesync, even though it's only 70Hz) to Vsync. Guess what... NO DIFFERENCE. Both eliminated screen tearing completely.

So whats the point in GSync/Freesync when Vsync was already doing that job just fine?!

Vsync is only a viable option if your min framerate is always 100% of the time above the monitor refres rate, or your FPS will tank to 1/2 of your refresh rate. Also, input lag.

Reactions: Arkaign

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
I just got a GSync and RTX 2080 and found a very annoying issue, and have to turn on my display first before Booting up PC.

If I let PC boot into Windows first before turning Monitor on first, my desktop icons are scattered all over desktop and at times my 2nd display is not even detected ?

The only fix is to do a hard reboot - getting that prompt for F8 Safe Mode list, Return back to normal Boot and it fixes things with Icons back to normal - Otherwise I have to manually fix all my Icons on Desktop back in correct order

SMU_Pony

Apr 27, 2017
I just got a GSync and RTX 2080 and found a very annoying issue, and have to turn on my display first before Booting up PC.

If I let PC boot into Windows first before turning Monitor on first, my desktop icons are scattered all over desktop and at times my 2nd display is not even detected ?

The only fix is to do a hard reboot - getting that prompt for F8 Safe Mode list, Return back to normal Boot and it fixes things with Icons back to normal - Otherwise I have to manually fix all my Icons on Desktop back in correct order

This sounds similar to what happened to me recently when I got a new monitor (Freesync, for the record) -- Windows would resize and move windows, and move icons if the monitor was ever off while windows was still on. This has something to do with windows detecting monitors automatically and Display Port or something. I never had the problem with my previous, ancient, monitor because windows had no way to detect if it was there or not, so never disconected it when I turned it off. Windows defaults to some ridiculous small resolution in a virtual monitor when it thinks you don't have one, and resizes/moves everything to fit. I never found a solution to this issue even though it comes up on a google search, though I was able to edit some file somewhere that allowed me to increase the resolution of the virtual monitor thing, and that helped some. But any open window or program still moves/resizes if I turn the monitor off and back on while they're open.

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
It looks like there are tons of issues with Display Port and I'm also running Win7. Just soo used to turning on PC and coming back few minutes later to turn on display 2nd.

I don't have any other issues with re-sizing when Windows fully up (hours) and shut off display for any amount of time.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
FWIW : have 1080ti with 34" 1440p Gsync + HDMI to Marantz AVR to 24" second display. All works fine, no problems.

Edit : W10 Pro x64 1809

Last edited: