"Certified Angus Beef Rib Eye Steak"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: BigSmooth
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n
Originally posted by: brtspears2
They got some cheap T-bone or porterhouse steak at ralphs on friday and saturday for 2.99/lb. Unsure of the grade, but it should be decent.

EDIT: Ad says USDA Select Calfornia Beef.
Select is yucky. :(
Select's not that bad, it's the third highest grade of beef.

Third out of three! I'd use select for stews or pot roasts, but I'd want choice for steak. Prime is rare at grocery stores. (hah, get it, rare??? steak???) :p

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
They got some cheap T-bone or porterhouse steak at ralphs on friday and saturday for 2.99/lb. Unsure of the grade, but it should be decent.

My general thoughs is that select has less marbling and therefore less fat, so less flavor. You can find some very nice select steaks if you look.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: beatle

Select's not that bad, it's the third highest grade of beef.

Third out of three! I'd use select for stews or pot roasts, but I'd want choice for steak. Prime is rare at grocery stores. (hah, get it, rare??? steak???) :p
It's not third out of three, it's third out of eight. The grades are Prime, Choice, Select, Standard, Commercial, Utility, Cutter, and Canner. Select is just the lowest grade you normally find in a grocery store - it's still considered to be a relatively lean cut of beef.

Prime is used by expensive restaurants and Choice is commonly used by average-to-good restaurants. I'm guessing that there are plenty of restaurants out there that use Select steaks. And I don't even want to know what grade fast food joints use. :(

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
It's not third out of three, it's third out of eight. The grades are Prime, Choice, Select, Standard, Commercial, Utility, Cutter, and Canner. Select is just the lowest grade you normally find in a grocery store - it's still considered to be a relatively lean cut of beef.

Prime is used by expensive restaurants and Choice is commonly used by average-to-good restaurants. I'm guessing that there are plenty of restaurants out there that use Select steaks. And I don't even want to know what grade fast food joints use. :(

Interesting... I did not know that! Where does grade F meat fall in that list? It's mostly circus animals, some filler.

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT

My grill is UBER HOT and my sister is pestering my for tech support.

NOT RIGHT NOW!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
Is Ruth's Chris Steakhouse any good? There's one around here that I was thinkin about trying.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

My favorite steak is a good, thick, medium-well filet mignon.

A medium-well fillet mignon? You know that when this type of request comes in, Chefs have been known to grab the crappiest piece they have, since they figure they can just burn it anyway. In addition, if the rest of the table orders their steak rare to medium, you run the risk of having your steak thrown in the deep fat fryer in order to get it to your table on time. It's really difficult to impossible to cook a medium-well fillet mignon correctly since the cut is so thick.

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
WOOT i gave it about two minutes each side on a burning hot grill. It's resting now, it has great grill markings. Serving it with two slices of garlic olive oil french bread and peas/carrots.

edit: so good.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
"angus" or "black angus" doesnt refer to any USDA inspection.

rib eye that should be eaten comes in 2 forms: prime and choice. prime = UBER expensive. choice = what i buy (and can afford). select should be best left for stewing meats.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
WOOT i gave it about two minutes each side on a burning hot grill. It's resting now, it has great grill markings. Serving it with two slices of garlic olive oil french bread and peas/carrots.

edit: so good.

2 minutes? is it still mooig?