Question Certain sites not loading

niunit

May 20, 2024
We have had this issue for about 6 months where about 15 websites will not load unless we are off our wifi and on moblie or on somebody else wifi. Websites like picknsave, airlines, celebrity sites etc. Replacing the router fixes it for about a week until it comes back. We get the this website is temporary not avaiable error. We have had spectrum out to look at it and they say it's not them. We have 1 computer, 2 phones. 2 tablets and 2 firesticks hooked up to it. We ran a looked up on the ip address to see where it's blocked on my toolbox website and it's blocked on 4 which are all related to email. We ran a virus scan with avg and Norton. Malwarebtyes scan and nothing comes on the computer. We have no vpn and we also tried to use a different dns sever. We also changed the network name and password just to be sure. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Disable any add ons in the router. Typically things like a content filter will provoke this behavior. If that doesn't work then provide the router make/model.

niunit

May 20, 2024
Disable any add ons in the router. Typically things like a content filter will provoke this behavior. If that doesn't work then provide the router make/model.
We have tried a Google nest, Amazon eero and a spectrum router. The spectrum tech even installed the router and didn't have any of that stuff on. Also I want to make sure its known that replacing the router fixes it for about a week or 2 then it comes back. Were not changing settings or going to weird sites. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Spectrum could be a gateway or a modem only.

If you connect directly to the spectrum box does the problem go away?

Nest and eero should have a DNS option to change but the browsers also have one as well.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
In the browser settings search for DNS as the browser's now have one built into them as well with some devices they have a private DNS setting as well.

niunit

May 20, 2024
I changed dns server in my phone when on the wifi and in the settings of the phone. Neither helped.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Hmmm.. Well, if everything scanned clean the other option would be someone using your connection as a proxy / relay and spamming those domains. A VPN though would bypass the blocks though and blocking SMTP/25 should kill any outbound infected traffic from getting out and causing the issue.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
We ran a looked up on the ip address to see where it's blocked on my toolbox website and it's blocked on 4 which are all related to email

No idea what you were talking about. What toolbox website and 4 of what were blocked and blocked by what? And what IP address of what?

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Your ISP lies.

We have had numerous problems with cable based Internet companies, and it mostly seems to be cable based ones, that blocks access to Google Firebase, which we used for one of the products my company makes. Even though Spectrum, Comcast, Charter, etc. claimed they didn't block the connection, they lied. Their modems were blocking it.

We resorted to assisting our clients (they are very non-techy) with changing the modems to bridge mode, and that fixed the connection issues.

I also had a case where one of our clients had a Cisco router in their place of business. One day, our product just stopped working. And the company that managed the Cisco router swears up and down they didn't make changes to the router. Eventually it was found out they updated some anti-spam rules on the router, which blocked our product's connection to Google Firebase.

So don't always believe them.

Double check all devices connected to your network. One thing you can do is, if you have a device such as a laptop with an Ethernet connection, double check it can connect to those sites when on a different network, such as at a friend's house, and then check to see if it can connect to the blocked sites on your home network. I'd completely remove all devices from your home network, and only make sure only the laptop used for testing is connected to your modem.

Reactions: lantis3

niunit

May 20, 2024
No idea what you were talking about. What toolbox website and 4 of what were blocked and blocked by what? And what IP address of what?
Uceprotectl3, rats dyna, sorbs duhl and spamhaus zen all have our ip address block and looking them up they all revovle around email

niunit

May 20, 2024
Your ISP lies.

We have had numerous problems with cable based Internet companies, and it mostly seems to be cable based ones, that blocks access to Google Firebase, which we used for one of the products my company makes. Even though Spectrum, Comcast, Charter, etc. claimed they didn't block the connection, they lied. Their modems were blocking it.

We resorted to assisting our clients (they are very non-techy) with changing the modems to bridge mode, and that fixed the connection issues.

I also had a case where one of our clients had a Cisco router in their place of business. One day, our product just stopped working. And the company that managed the Cisco router swears up and down they didn't make changes to the router. Eventually it was found out they updated some anti-spam rules on the router, which blocked our product's connection to Google Firebase.

So don't always believe them.

Double check all devices connected to your network. One thing you can do is, if you have a device such as a laptop with an Ethernet connection, double check it can connect to those sites when on a different network, such as at a friend's house, and then check to see if it can connect to the blocked sites on your home network. I'd completely remove all devices from your home network, and only make sure only the laptop used for testing is connected to your modem.
Taking any of the devices away from the location having the issue and connecting to another wifi or moblie corrects the issue. If somebody takes there to that location and connects the wifi to it the problem is there but only at that one location.

niunit

May 20, 2024
The issue started on the Google nest router which had been working fine for about 5 years. Then we went to the Amazon eero and then the spectrum one. No settings besides passwords were ever changed.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
So your IP is on several blacklists. Have you tried to get a new IP by rebooting the router (overnight)? Have you tried the Cloudflare WARP VPN which will give a new IP?

niunit

May 20, 2024
So your IP is on several blacklists. Have you tried to get a new IP by rebooting the router (overnight)? Have you tried the Cloudflare WARP VPN which will give a new IP?
Looking up this blacklist many people are on those and its common. Plus that relates to email. We have rebooted the equipment alot. We only find replacing the router with something else temporarily resolves. Also the websites impact are always the same. I haven't tried a VPN. I don't get why we can't just connect like everybody else and not have to do anything special to get it to work.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
I was guessing some websites use some common code (& common blacklists) to detect it's desktops or mobile devices visiting the sites and try to redirect or doing something but failed.

the other user has same issue as you, although different situation. But he hasn't change DNS setting yet and we don't know the result. Change your IP via VPN and see what happens.

Also disable browser plugins to see if it makes any difference.

Last edited:

niunit

May 20, 2024
Would setting up a VPN fix the issue for tablets and phones not working ?

niunit

May 20, 2024
I was guessing some websites use some common code (& common blacklists) to detect it's desktops or mobile devices visiting the sites and try to redirect or doing something but failed.

the other user has same issue as you, but he hasn't change DNS setting yet and we don't know the result. Change your IP via VPN and see what happens.

Also disable browser plugins to see if it makes any difference.

No idea. You have to test yourself. My mobile phones work fine
If I want a moblie phone to use the VPN do I need the app for the VPN on each devices?
No idea. You have to test yourself. My mobile phones work fine.