Cereal is actually soup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
You know what's delicious? A bowl of cornflakes with sugar on top, microwaved until the milk is warm. Soupflakes.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Hot tea is seeping, not cooking.

Cooking requires having proportions; applying heat and stopping when enough heat has been applied to generate the end result.

What is your definition of cooking?
Multiple ingredients, tools or just a personal preference. :confused:

If it involves breakdown ingredients (like creating a beef stock or broth) and prepping them or creating them from scratch, it's cooking.

When you are adding already prepared ingredients (that come from a 'ready to eat' package), you are just 'making' something, not cooking though.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I don't care what you guys do, but from now on, I'm calling it either Soureal or Ceroup, not sure which one.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Prefab fruit cups are heat pasteurized = cooked = fruit stew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization

Unlike sterilization, pasteurization is not intended to kill all micro-organisms in the food. Instead, it aims to reduce the number of viable pathogens so they are unlikely to cause disease (assuming the pasteurized product is stored as indicated and is consumed before its expiration date). Commercial-scale sterilization of food is not common because it adversely affects the taste and quality of the product. Certain foods, such as dairy products, may be superheated to ensure pathogenic microbes are destroyed.

You don't "cook" the milk that comes from a cow. You pasteurize it to make it safe for people to drink and have some shelf life. Similar to the fruit cup - after the fruit is harvested, it goes to shit unless it goes through a process to preserve it.

Heat pasteurization is food processing preservation technique - so, still not cooking.

A dairy farmer wouldn't be on the same level as Bobby Flay,.. but, more closer to a cafeteria lady person.

ioni

Aug 3, 2009
Well, soup has liquid in it and my cereal doesn't. So I'd say they are pretty different.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Soup simmers, mixes, cooks, boils and gets stirred. There can also be lots of prep in soup - precooking the meats & vegetables, chopping, etc.

Cereal is something you pour milk over. You wouldn't consider making a sandwich cooking (same with cereal),... where as soup is cooking.
Like hell I wouldn't.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Are we arguing over what cereal symbolizes to a particular person, or culture? Different cultures might attach different meanings to the same words, or maybe someone who was locked in a basement for a very long time.

Though in this culture cereal is usually a symbolic and synonymous term for a quick and easy breakfast made out of wheat grain .

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Funny, I had hot cooked oatmeal for breakfast.

Oatmeal had to be measured out of the container.
Cooked in boiling water with a pinch of salt.
Stirring for a couple of minutes to ensure it did not burn.

Placed into a bowl
A few dried cranberries and cinnamon mixed in.
Hmmm. Sounds like really thick soup to me.

Hot cereals no longer have a broth and separate solid parts, thus, they are not soups either. It might not be possible to fail harder than you have with this thread.
Does tomato soup have a broth and separate solid parts? I'd say yes, but last night, after making tomato soup (and sandwiches), I realized we were out of crackers. Note: "making." I didn't cook the tomato soup, I merely heated it.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
hotwomanisnotamused.gif