CEO allows a employee to shot a AK at him

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Finally a CEO that stands behind his product!!!

Texas Armoring Corp CEO sits in one of his vehicles while a employee fires a AK-47 at it. Interesting video to watch and see how the bullet proof glass disperses the kinetic energy from the AK rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8i5d5toEDk

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Having been in a number of armored vehicles struck by bullets, I still feel like watching the windshield crack and splinter in front of you would be extraordinarily unnerving.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Having been in a number of armored vehicles struck by bullets, I still feel like watching the windshield crack and splinter in front of you would be extraordinarily unnerving.

Not if you're shooting a movie.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's awesome. I saw something like that on Discovery, not sure if it was same company.

Definitely takes balls to do that no matter how confident you are in the product.

What I found incredible is how silent it is from inside the vehicle, I would have figured it would be louder.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
That's awesome. I saw something like that on Discovery, not sure if it was same company.

Definitely takes balls to do that no matter how confident you are in the product.

What I found incredible is how silent it is from inside the vehicle, I would have figured it would be louder.

I was surprised by that to. These luxury armored vehicles have a lot of sound proofing. You can get shot at and still enjoy your music.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Looks like acrylic laminated to polycarbonate. The acrylic outside shatters dispersing much of the energy and the inner polycarbonate prevents remnants from entering the vehicle. Problem is this design wont take more than a few hits in the same area. If they had gone full auto on just the driver side the CEO would be dead in that video.

tranceport

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
www.thesystemsengineer.com
Looks like acrylic laminated to polycarbonate. The acrylic outside shatters dispersing much of the energy and the inner polycarbonate prevents remnants from entering the vehicle. Problem is this design wont take more than a few hits in the same area. If they had gone full auto on just the driver side the CEO would be dead in that video.

It did seem like the shooter was trying to hit fresh spots in the glass. I saw one or two in in the same impact zone and got a bit worried.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
How many rounds at the same spot can this withstand?

I think the bullet would penetrate at 3 shots in same spot. That's not hard when someone's relatively close and going full auto on you. All it takes is few seconds while you're frantically trying to steer away/reverse.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

I think the bullet would penetrate at 3 shots in same spot. That's not hard when someone's relatively close and going full auto on you. All it takes is few seconds while you're frantically trying to steer away/reverse.

Trying to hit a moving vehicle in the exact same spot is a lot harder than it looks. The armoring is supposed to give occupants the time to get clear of a ambush. That is why drivers are trained in evasive driving. If the vehicle is stopped and being targeted the chances of survival just went down a lot. Even then the bullet proof glass is supposed to give time for the occupants of the vehicle to duck down.

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Success
LEHtnvU.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBO77WdWZY4

Failure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Hoy

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

It's probably 3-4 in the same spot.

In all honesty in RL you'd be moving and that probably wouldn't happen.

If you are immobilized, nothing is going to save you...this is how real tanks are easily defeated. Once they can't get the F out of Dodge, it's just a matter of breaking the armor down quickly or breaching it.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Trying to hit a moving vehicle in the exact same spot is a lot harder than it looks. The armoring is supposed to give occupants the time to get clear of a ambush. That is why drivers are trained in evasive driving. If the vehicle is stopped and being targeted the chances of survival just went down a lot. Even then the bullet proof glass is supposed to give time for the occupants of the vehicle to duck down.

This. You keep driving. They won't hit the same spot twice. I've seen the aftermath of an armored Ford Expedition lit up at close range by 5 AKs after someone's drunken night out in Kabul. Nothing penetrated the armor, but the exterior sheet metal and windows indicated over 100 rounds impacted the vehicle.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
After the ALS Icebucket Challenge there is now the Ebola AK-47 Own-product Challenge!

I challenge the Apple CEO to let someone fire an AK-47 at him while he's shielding himself with a new iPhone or iPad!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
After the ALS Icebucket Challenge there is now the Ebola AK-47 Own-product Challenge!

I challenge the Apple CEO to let someone fire an AK-47 at him while he's shielding himself with a new iPhone or iPad!

how is that fair? Pretty sure the bulletproof glass doesn't bend like the iPhone :colbert:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I suggest we test the stopping power of filtered vs unfiltered, hard pack vs soft pack.