Censorship: 2 students suspended for posting on their home website

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Maybe the school has special rules regarding race type stuff?

Or maybe it was the bit talking about students getting ready to fight?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Uhm...

Two Gwinnett County students have been suspended from school for running a Web site with racial slurs and threats about other students.

Threatening a student with violence outside of school can be punished in school. Had the website said "Our principal is a poop-head" i might be mad, but this seems a little more serious.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I think they can get them with the threats toward other students. The other stuff doesn't apply (IMHO).

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: preslove
Uhm...

Two Gwinnett County students have been suspended from school for running a Web site with racial slurs and threats about other students.

So what? If they were not accessing and maintaining this site on school time using school equipment on school grounds then it is not the schools business no matter how repugnant the views expressed.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Uhm...

I don't know who has seen the website. However racial slurs no matter how vial they may be are just words and covered under free speech?

Threats obviouly are a criminal matter and that would have to be proven.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Web sites are not protected by Free speech 1st ammendment rights?

According to the ACLU, they are protected...you are free to post methods/pictures of ways in which adult males can lure underage children into their homes and sexually abuse them?glad the ACLU is looking out for our freedoms and protecting the ?little guy.?

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Any time school property or school officals/names are used (much like school property ot be used in assault cases - mett behind the fieldhouse at 3:15!), the school has a right to react as it sees fit to do.

I believe the parents can appeal the decision at the school board.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Hmmm... This poses some interesting points for debate.

This WAS something the two students were doing within the confine of their private residence. The Internet is global, so I'm not sure how much the American Constitution can or cannot regulate/protect it other than the fact that the children are American and the site was hosted on US soil. In that respect it should be protected by the 1st Amendment.

However, they are minors which brings into play other legalities. One thing is for certain, the KKK is allowed to rally (pitiful as that may be) so they can't be in trouble over a racial stance (however twisted that it may be). But, it would seem that posting threatening/derogatory remarks about specific individuals could be considered slander or even criminal, and would/should be evaluated on each individual case.

Where and how the school district has the right to get involved confuses me. They are NOT law enforcement and have no right to take disciplinary actions IMO.

Interesting...this one is tough to call while trying to remain absolutely objective about it.

Edited for spelling

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Of course this happens in Georgia, right around the corner from where I used to live.

Heh. I'm living in Gwinnett County now.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uhm...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know who has seen the website. However racial slurs no matter how vial they may be are just words and covered under free speech?

A racial slur is covered under the first amendment, but threatening violence is not. Let's just imagine we were college (to make it all adult) classmates that didn't like each other, and you threatened to kick the $hit out of me, i could press assault charges against you.

edit: The website contained threats, so they don't have to be proven.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002

Web sites are not protected by Free speech 1st ammendment rights?

They are, however, in the United States, minors don't technically have these rights.

Additionally, I don't see why this is such an issue because it can clearly cause problems at school, and from the sound of the article, it seemed like what was said would do that.

What's the big deal with making schools safe? Yes, things like lawsuit over the wireless network that was posted in OT is way out of line, but this situation is very reasonable, and should be expected.

That, or you would have parents of 12 year olds suing each other for slander and when they get into an argument in the hallway.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: JoLLyRoGer

This WAS something the two students were doing within the confine of their private residence. The Internet is global, so I'm not sure how much the American Constitution can or cannot regulate/protect it other than the fact that the children are American and the site was hosted on US soil. In that respect it should be protected by the 1st Amendment.

However, they are minors which brings into play other legalities. One thing is for certain, the KKK is allowed to rally (pitiful as that may be) so they can't be in trouble over a racial stance (however twisted that it may be). But, it would seem that posting threatening/derogatory remarks about specific individuals could be considered slander or even criminal, and would/should be evaluated on each individual case.

Where and how the school district has the right to get involved confuses me. They are NOT law enforcement and have no right to take disciplinary actions IMO.

Interesting...this one is tough to call while trying to remain absolutely objective about it.

Edited for spelling

Maybe a specific student was threatened on the website and made a complaint with the school?

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Spoooon
Originally posted by: JoLLyRoGer

Edited for spelling

Maybe a specific student was threatened on the website and made a complaint with the school?

I can completely understand why the school district would be involved had this happened at school. I don't argue that what the children are doing is wrong and needs to have some kind of resolution.

My argument is one of jurisdiction. Would the school district be within it's right to become involved in this matter and what legislation gives them that right? I see this as a matter to be handled by local law enforcment..

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Uhm...

A racial slur is covered under the first amendment, but threatening violence is not. Let's just imagine we were college (to make it all adult) classmates that didn't like each other, and you threatened to kick the $hit out of me, i could press assault charges against you.

edit: The website contained threats, so they don't have to be proven.

The question is who determined it WAS in FACT threats? If it was Law Enforcement fine, but in this case it appears School Officials made the determination it was a threats.

It could've been "Jim D is a Lollypop lover". Would Law Enforcement determine that to be a threat?

or was it "Jim D is going to kick the sh1t out of Tony A at 3:15". That could be a threat determined by Law enforcement.

The key point, does the School have the power or right to act in a Law Enforcement Capacity?
Have they been deputized?
Are they Judge, Jury and Executioner all in one?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
The question is who determined it WAS in FACT threats? If it was Law Enforcement fine, but in this case it appears School Officials made the determination it was a threats.

It could've been "Jim D is a Lollypop lover". Would Law Enforcement determine that to be a threat?

or was it "Jim D is going to kick the sh1t out of Tony A at 3:15". That could be a threat determined by Law enforcement.

The key point, does the School have the power or right to act in a Law Enforcement Capacity?

The school was just trying stop this problem from festering. Suspending a child from school for a week is a much less drastic course of action than calling law enforcement. Contacting the police seems like it would have been going overboard, this seems like a moderate solution that will show these students that threatening violence is not acceptable behavior. And yes, this is the school's responsibility, since the offending students AND the threatened students go to the same school. Steps like these should be taken in order to avoid the kind of violence that public school haters on this forum so decry.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Linflas
Uhm...

So what? If they were not accessing and maintaining this site on school time using school equipment on school grounds then it is not the schools business no matter how repugnant the views expressed.

SO WHAT???

They were probably supended to PROTECT innocent children at the school whom THEY threatened.

Who was Kip Kinkelhttp://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/kinkel/
Sure would have been nice if they stopped him.

Gee.. what if they stopped another Columbine
http://columbine.free2host.net/why.html

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

The school was just trying stop this problem from festering. Suspending a child from school for a week is a much less drastic course of action than calling law enforcement. Contacting the police seems like it would have been going overboard, this seems like a moderate solution that will show these students that threatening violence is not acceptable behavior. And yes, this is the school's responsibility, since the offending students AND the threatened students go to the same school. Steps like these should be taken in order to avoid the kind of violence that public school haters on this forum so decry.

Fine, but then there should be in writing, a Constitutional ammendment that students have no rights and not covered under the 1st ammendment.

Rights, we don't need no stinking rights.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Fine, but then there should be in writing, a Constitutional ammendment that students have no rights and not covered under the 1st ammendment.

Rights, we don't need no stinking rights.

Tell us what constitutional rights the school violated?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is a tough one. I'm leaning towards saying the school does not have the right to discipline students for what they do outside the school.

Yet, if they give drug tests to students, they can be suspended for testing positive even though they didn't use drugs in school. So in that sense, they are being disciplined for out-of-school activities.