Celtic music

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
:thumbsup:
or
:thumbsdown:
?

And while we're on the subject, why is it Celtic and yet the Boston Celtics sound like the Boston Seltics?

walla

Jun 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
or
?

And while we're on the subject, why is it Celtic and yet the Boston Celtics sound like the Boston Seltics?

It ok to listen to.

And it Seltics because we're American and pronounce things the way we damn well please. :)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

Altan, Clannad (especially older), Old Blind Dogs, Tannahill Weavers, Joemy Wilson. Good stuff. Turlough O'Carolan is one of my favorite instrumental composers.

Also good: The British electric folk of Fairport Convention (espec. Liege and Lief) and of ex-member Richard Thompson (Daring Adventures, Pour Down Like Silver, Hokey Pokey)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Trite. Wallowing in self-limiting motifs. Pandering to New Age self-absorpsion. Stagnant. Could benefit from another Nordic conquest to stir things up abit. Some pretty darn good looking women though.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I think it has a time and place for everything. I used to dig it at times.

Originally posted by: Brutuskend

As somebody that just moved up to Pennsylvania from Texas, I have noticed that many people in the New England area pronouce a lot of words "wrong." Hell, and this is coming from a Texas boy. I am sure some people fifity years ago started to pronounce "celtic" wrong and it just kind of snowballed.
Same reason that the Germans in Pennsyvlania are called Dutch.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Intersting post. Earlier this week I was doing some channel surfing and came across a show on PBS (of all channels) The name was Celtic Woman. I really liked most of the music that was played. So much that I started to do some Google searching to find out more information. I will have to check out some of the artists mentioned above.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Mary Black, Cathie Ryan, Siucra, The Rankins, Natalie MacMaster, Clannad = :thumbsup:

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ZOOYUKA
Check out Flogging Molly!

"We take the garden variety punk band sound and add a fiddle."

Seamus Egan for the win, Phil Coulter for the place, and James Galway for the show.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
You know, I've been playing the bagpipes for over 12 years, I love it, but I can't really get into Celtic music much. Though I did see that "Celtic Woman" program that mcvickj mentioned and it is awesome, but I guess that's because I also sing and like vocal music too.