Cell Phone Worldwide Danger: Phones exploding - Cause may be Fake Batteries

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Warning to all Cell phone Users:

Monday there was a News story of a woman in the U.S. where here Kyocera Cell Phone exploded, now today a Vietnam Woman is hospitalized with burns over 10% from her Nokia phone exploding.

There isn't much you can do to protect yourself other than using hands free as much as possible and try not to keep the phones close to the body. I'm sure there will be more News on this as investigators determine what is going on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10-9-2003 Nokia Cites Fake Batteries in Phone Explosions

The incident follows two similar accidents in the Netherlands, one last week and the other in August.

10-9-2003 Nokia to Probe Blast After Mobile Phone Explodes

Chung Xao Le, 22, was having breakfast Wednesday in a cafeteria at a hospital in Ho Chi Minh City where she worked as a therapist when her phone in her pocket, a Nokia 8210, exploded.

Nokia has sent a team of technicians to investigate the blast, which could have been caused by a fake battery, Nguyen said.

Contraband and counterfeit mobile phone batteries are widely available in the local markets at around $2-$3 a piece compared to $20 for genuine product, Nguyen said.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Geez, and I thought the microwave radiation frying my brain was a bad enough rumor....

cumhail

Apr 1, 2003
I tell you... the baby Bells tell us anything to get people to stop making cells their primary telephones :p

cumhail

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Warning to all Cell phone Users:

Monday there was a News story of a woman in the U.S. where here Kyocera Cell Phone exploded, now today a Vietnam Woman is hospitalized with burns over 10% from her Nokia phone exploding.

There isn't much you can do to protect yourself other than using hands free as much as possible and try not to keep the phones close to the body. I'm sure there will be more News on this as investigators determine what is going on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10-9-2003 Nokia Cites Fake Batteries in Phone Explosions

The incident follows two similar accidents in the Netherlands, one last week and the other in August.

10-9-2003 Nokia to Probe Blast After Mobile Phone Explodes

Chung Xao Le, 22, was having breakfast Wednesday in a cafeteria at a hospital in Ho Chi Minh City where she worked as a therapist when her phone in her pocket, a Nokia 8210, exploded.

Nokia has sent a team of technicians to investigate the blast, which could have been caused by a fake battery, Nguyen said.

Contraband and counterfeit mobile phone batteries are widely available in the local markets at around $2-$3 a piece compared to $20 for genuine product, Nguyen said.

Gee, thanks for saving my life.. Mods, can we make this a sticky? This is such important news.
rolleye.gif

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
More people just spewing and not paying attention.

These were BRAND NEW phones, the people that had these phones explode had no way of knowing there was a "Knock Off" battery in their phones. Do you know what battery you have in your phone?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
More people just spewing and not paying attention.

These were BRAND NEW phones, the people that had these phones explode had no way of knowing there was a "Knock Off" battery in their phones. Do you know what battery you have in your phone?

Yes - my Nokia phone has a Nokia battery in it.
I read both of your links AGAIN and didn't find where they said that the exploding phones were brand new.
"(But) there hasn't been a single case of an original battery exploding anywhere in the world,"
"Contraband and counterfeit mobile phone batteries are widely available in the local markets at around $2-$3 a piece compared to $20 for genuine product, Nguyen said."

Hmm....

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Looks like you had a double post occur CKG, how does that happen?

That's just my point, people have no idea to be able to tell what they are actually getting inside the phone. All they see is Nokia or Kyocera on the outside of the phone.

I just hope that they don't resort to some sort of "Protection" scheme based on the DMCA over this.