cell phone towers

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I realize this is a little off topic but it is related to networking. My dad has the opportunity to take full control of 2 different parcels of land. Each parcel has a cell phone tower residing on it. He would like to know if this would be a good move.

Personally I think it would be a great deal but he just wants to make sure that technology will continue to use these towers. I'm not sure which companies have the towers but I'm assuming US Cellular, Verizon, or ??

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Usually you don't own the tower, but lease the land/rights to the land for a tower. My father in law has 4 different towers on different bits of his farm

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Yes, it would be good for him to own the land. And as mweaver said above, you or your Dad will not own the Cell Tower
itself. That is either built by one Cell Provider, usually the first one to need / want coverage in that area and then space
on the Pole & an area on the ground for the equipment is Leased to other providers. In a good amount of the US a company
called Crown Castle does much of this. They lease the entire site and erect the monopole. They then lease out the needed
space to the cell companies.