Cell Phone Question

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Ok, I want to buy a cell phone for my son. We use those pre paid plans since we only make about 15 minutes of calls per month. Well, my son being a teenager, wants a cool cell, not the "UGLY" Nokia one they have.We will be using Free2go wireless service. So my question is, can he buy the t68i for 150 and just use free2go wireless from there? Are there any hidden costs? Is this even possible?

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As long as its the T68 for AT&T's network he should be fine. It's a T68is I believe?

From AT&T homepage:

Already Have a Phone?

If you have a Digital multi-network phone* that is compatible with the AT&T Wireless network, simply pick up a Starter Kit to sign up for service. Starter Kits are available in authorized dealers locations. It includes a comprehensive user guide and quick tips to get you started.

http://www.attws.com/personal/prepaid/;dsessionid=ET12ZY3FHCIBBR1M5XZCFFA

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
don't those prepaid plans end up being more costly than a cheap regular plan?

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: yoda291

yes..

but for some without credit ( Not pertaining to the thread starter ) that is the only way to go.

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: isekii

yes..

but for some without credit ( Not pertaining to the thread starter ) that is the only way to go.

I thought you could bypass the credit check with a security deposit or something...I gotta stop hangin out in HD already. Paying money to save money doesn't work very well.

edmicman

Golden Member
May 30, 2001

yes..

I thought you could bypass the credit check with a security deposit or something...I gotta stop hangin out in HD already. Paying money to save money doesn't work very well.

yeah when i got my plan i didn't have a credit history and so had to plunk down a freakin $400 deposit. i'm supposed to get it back this fall, but it sucked at the time. guess thats what i get for mistrusting the credit companies and always paying for things with money i have....

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: edmicman

yes..

yeah when i got my plan i didn't have a credit history and so had to plunk down a freakin $400 deposit. i'm supposed to get it back this fall, but it sucked at the time. guess thats what i get for mistrusting the credit companies and always paying for things with money i have....

It's a conspiracy I tell you.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
For AT&T Free 2 Go, you need any older tri-mode TDMA phone, such as a Motorola V60t, not a GSM phone, like the t68i. The phones that can be used on F2G are listed on the site as "Digital Phone." The phones that you can't use on F2G are the GSM phones, listed as "Next Generation Phone."

I used a Nokia 6360 that I bought at Best Buy for my Free 2 Go service. I don't use free to go any more since after the 2nd time their refill system didn't accept my perfectly valid visa number , they refused to restore my minute balance (it was some confirmation address problem, which was on their end, since I haven't moved in over 3 years). I therefore refused to give them any more money.

Chess

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2001
Cartman, depends how much he will be using it, prepaid is good simply because you pay as you talk, but i like paying only 40 bucks and having 500 minutes and free night and weekends, i say still possibly looking into getting a plan for your family, i know alot of ppl hate sprint etc.. but you can have i know 500 minutes combined and free night and weekends for both phones and free pcs to pcs for 60 bucks a month. But the negative is that there phones are alot!