Celeron M Socket 479: bga or pga?

snor

Feb 3, 2006
I am looking to upgrade my dolthan celeron CPU and I found some conflicting information regarding its package type.
CPU world says it is a Micro-FCBGA
while Intel says it is a Micro-FCPGA

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL8MP.html
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL8MP

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the actual physical fit of the cpu's or compatibilities? I know the main difference is the manufacturing process between the two types, but I can't verify if that translates into physical fit on the board. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
BGA has balls and is permanently soldered in place. PGA has pins and is replaceable. So yes, the difference is important.

I would trust Intel's Processor Spec Finder over any third party datasource. Intel's ARK lists 3 variants of the Mobile Celeron M 390, and both variants with the sSpec number you provide are listed as PGA. So if you're confident that you have the right sSpec number, you should have a PGA part.

If you open the laptop up, you should be able to tell definitively.

snor

Feb 3, 2006
Thanks, since I was able to extract the cpu that means it is most likely pga. This information helps greatly!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Just an FYI, if you have a Celeron M, it's most likely that you'll be confined to Pentium M processors for upgrades, unless you can confirm that a C2D or CD will work.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
Just an FYI, if you have a Celeron M, it's most likely that you'll be confined to Pentium M processors for upgrades, unless you can confirm that a C2D or CD will work.

Good catch.

I am 100% confident that nothing from the Core 2 family will work, and 95% confident that nothing from the Core (1) family will work. Pins were re-assigned on the socket, making the different parts not compatible. However, most likely any Pentium M part will work.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Good catch.

I am 100% confident that nothing from the Core 2 family will work, and 95% confident that nothing from the Core (1) family will work. Pins were re-assigned on the socket, making the different parts not compatible. However, most likely any Pentium M part will work.

uh no.

there are a lot of core 2 based celeron M laptops out there. such as the celeron m 400 and 500 series, that can take some variant of socket M core 2 cpu, depending on the chipset that machine had.

they are pga also for the most part. intel probably sells a bga and pga version for companies that will solder it on the motherboard (like say apple)

snor

Feb 3, 2006
I agree, this gets quite confusing once there exists a few different types of celeron Ms. Hans is correct in that the 400 series and 500 series can take variants of core 2's because i have swapped it before. However, in this incarnation of socket 479, the pin configurations are indeed different than the socket P's that can take core 2's. The maximum speed I can attain is the fastest Pentium M chips, unfortunately...

there exists socket 479, socket M (rearranged 479), socket P and mobile i7's.